4k htpc build advice

herbinator

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Hi all, haven't built a htpc since 1080p was the top requirement I have been running an Amd Apu and it has been rock solid for years with 1080p content and hd audio serving my projector and TV through hdmi through my amp.
Now I've been tasked with building a htpc for a friend who is about to go for 4k I have been waiting and waiting for the raven ridge apus's but this system needs to be built now.
So could you experts spec me a build I could pick up the parts for today, it has to be small silent or at least very quiet be able to play 4k locally stored files and streamed 4k Netflix and Amazon content, price isn't an issue although value would be welcome thanks,

Solution

4k Netflix requires Kaby Lake (if using the integrated GPU) or an Nvidia 10x0 series. As stated above, the reason is DRM, nothing to do with hardware capability. It's not at all clear when or if Hollywood will bless AMD's GPU DRM with its stamp of approval for 4k streaming.

Hollywood also requires that streams on general purpose computing devices (PCs) have to be decoded inside a virtual machine (that's why you need Flash or Silverlight for Netflix...
For those functionalities, this should be more than enough and will last you for a long time...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($114.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($98.62 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Mini Video Card ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone - GD09B HTPC Case ($69.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $776.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-11 17:29 EDT-0400

Even a simple intel compute stick will do the trick but maybe for more options a pentium g4560 will be the better choice.

however, currently (at least the last time I checked), in order to play BRXL and get 4k off that a very specific hardware platform was needed, intel + pascal (DRM reasons rather than brute force reasons), streamed 4k may not have issues like this, but would be worth checking on.

4k Netflix requires Kaby Lake (if using the integrated GPU) or an Nvidia 10x0 series. As stated above, the reason is DRM, nothing to do with hardware capability. It's not at all clear when or if Hollywood will bless AMD's GPU DRM with its stamp of approval for 4k streaming.

Hollywood also requires that streams on general purpose computing devices (PCs) have to be decoded inside a virtual machine (that's why you need Flash or Silverlight for Netflix and Amazon Video). It's resource-hungry and wastes power. It's frustrated me enough that I just recommend dedicated streaming devices like a Roku instead of a HTPC anymore. Hollywood allows the dedicated devices to do the stream decode in hardware, greatly reducing the speed and power requirements.

Solution

It's pretty dumb that the paying users once again get a gimped experience and the pirate are good to go. There are a bunch of project out there already that are relaibly being able to bypass the hardware drm. Hope they just give up with it soon as when someone wants something for free enough they will be able to get it.

herbinator

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
At the moment the Asrock Deskmini 110 is catching my eye, paired with an i5 Kaby Lake CPU sodimm memory and either an m2 drive or an ssd .
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

The iGPU on KabyLake chips are pretty capable of running 4k... https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz (check out the Graphics Specification)
But the problem with these prebuild pcs' are their PSU units are not always good as they are more often proprietary, hence not much is divulged on specs... http://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/Deskmini%20110%20Series/#Specification
But since you wont be gaming, hence there wont be much load on the system.
You can go for it if you are getting at the right price. Just make sure you check the warranty terms and conditions properly, specially on the PSU, as i could not find their warranty specifications.

herbinator

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Thanks for that mate, I am putting this together for a friend I've personally had my own nightmares with proprietary psu's in the past the shuttle xpc comes to mind here.
Whilst this would be a hassle to me my buddy is rich as shit so replacing a power brick won't be to much of a burden to him, I'm really digging the Deskmini looks like it will be a doddle to put together as well.
Can someone confirm an Kaby Lake i5 will decide all hd audio formats especially Atmos through the HDMI on this through my availability receiver.

Why not build it with better parts as well as compatibility...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone - ML03B HTPC Case ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $569.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-12 13:34 EDT-0400

herbinator

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Ok so I'm thinking

Deskmini 110
Intel i5 7600s
2 X 4gig GSkill sodimm
500gb sandisk ssd
Noctua NH-L9i low profile cooler
Totals at roughly £600

Should get me a quiet very small media playing beast that should get me up to until 8k becomes the new standard.