4k monitor and graphics card considerations...

templarklimek

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Gents, I made the switch 4 months ago to a Seiki 40 inch 4K display powered by my Titan card. The 4K upgrade was long overdue for the pc world but it was hampered by the mass adoption on 1080 resolution by the consumer world. 4K is simply breath taking, you wont regret it. HOWEVER, a few issues to consider.

A. 4K@30HZ is not really acceptable of you game, its ok with slower moving games but you can see it on most.
B. Don't by a 1st Gen screen that only supports 4K@30hz. I was tols that the Seiki did support 4K@60hz. it doesn't. The newer screens do support it. Only get a monitor/screen that supports HDMI 2.0, IMHO.

I need your counsel on two issues please.

Is it wise to get a new monitor that supports HDMI 2.0 but not display port? I've only found one that does both, a Panasonic 58 inch. I'd prefer a Samsung at that point or a LG for 1800.00 that has HDMI 2.0.

The present generation of graphics cards including Titan black or AMD R9 295X2 don't support HDMI 2.0. Will the next gen GTX 880 support HDMI 2.0? How long till they are out? The titan chokes on some newer content at 4K.

Thank you for your advice.