4k monitor keeps going black while gaming

Serkan Durgun

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Hello,

I recently purchased a samsung 4k monitor and I'm using it with the displayport cable that comes with it @60hz. It's all relatively good as long as I dont play games. However, when I play games It tends to disconnect (go black) for couple of seconds and come back and continue displaying like nothing's happened.

Went to samsung website and downloaded it's software and tried different AMD drivers for my GPU but problem still persists. It happens like every 30-60 minutes of gameplay. When not in a game it flickers slightly.

So I'm suspecting that Cable Samsung includes in the retail box does not really meet the DP 1.2 standarts and bottlenecks the bandwidth but before I act and get a new cable I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
Samsung u28d590d UHD
Single R9 290 on water, w/ latest driver
3570k @4,6
Asrock z77 Xtreme6
8gigs of Corsair Ram
Windows 8.1

InvalidError

Titan
Occasional loss of sync could be a loose connection, a defect on the GPU, cable or TV itself.

If it occurs more frequently in games, I would investigate the GPU route first since gaming makes absolutely no difference as far as the cable and TV are concerned.

You might want to start with taking a look at Windows' error log to see if your flicker migh be caused by your GPU drivers locking up and getting reloaded.

Serkan Durgun

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

I see so it might even be happening due to overclocking gone bad huh? I dont exactly know how to access those Error logs I'll have to check it tomorrow when I get back home tho. Still open to more ideas so I can give them a go all at once.

InvalidError

Titan
When drivers fail and get restarted, you should see a "toaster" notification telling you that drivers have failed and have been reloaded. If you noticed something pop up in your notification area after some of those "flickers", that may have been it.

The logs are in Admin Tools -> Event Viewer.

Serkan Durgun

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

Ah I'm familiar with the driver crashes but I haven't been notified with one when the flickers occur tho. I'll check the event viewer I googled it seems rather simple.

Serkan Durgun

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

Unfortunately there has been no reports relating to what I'm experiencing in the windows error log no driver crashes no nothing. Took the card back to the stock clocks just to be safe but still having the same issue tho. So I think this narrows it down to monitor or cable failure eh?

Serkan Durgun

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Seems like installing display port driver from Samsung's site and combining it with Latest AMD beta driver (14.7 Rc3 or newer) solves it. Worked for me and a guy from local forum we both havent experienced a single black out for the last 2-3 days.

Paul_1982

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
I had this problem too. I tried different cables and shoving them in hard and all that complete nonsense that is often advised. Obviously it didn't work.

I then remembered a curious setting in the Intel Display Settings - there is an option to have it at either 60Hz or 59Hz. Mine was at 60Hz, so I changed it and *poof* problem gone.

They must know of this but keep it quiet for whatever reason, otherwise why would the option be there?