4k monitor suggestions

chenw

Honorable
Hey all,

I have been looking into getting a 4k monitor for myself as a secondary monitor to go along with my Swift. Yes, I know it's probably weird, to the point of insanity, that I'd use a 1440p TN monitor as my main and a 4k as my secondary, but I'd like to keep my Desktop legible.

However, I am actually looking for a small (27" max) 4k screen, not a large one, because I want to keep the option of using 1080p resolution on the 4k open, 1080p @ 27" is already beyond what I am willing to accept after seeing 1440p.

The main functions of the said monitor are playing non-graphically demanding games, or games that do not rely on motion smoothness (for example, retro games, top down RPG's etc). and also act as a desktop extension and playing movies. It won't be my primary also because my 970's will be ill suited for that.

I would much prefer a IPS monitor as I already have a TN, and I do not believe TN has any advantages over IPS or VA at 60hz.

Currently I am eyeing Dell's P2415q and P2715q, though I am definitely looking at the former more. The other one I am looking for is NEC EA244UHD but I am not sure if I am willing do dish out almost twice the amount over the Dell's version, and it looks like the extra colors on that monitor will be completely lost for what I am going to use it for.

Anyone with either of the Dell monitors can share thoughts about it when used for gaming? I haven't look terribly deeply into 27 inchers because honestly, if I had the choice, I would much prefer 24", but if Dell's 24" is that bad, I will go 27", but that is the absolute maximum I am willing to go.

Also, are there any VA 4k Monitors? I do not believe I came across any of them.

I am all ears for any such monitors, I have no set budget for that, but $750 is most likely the most I am willing to pay for a such monitor,

Many thanks

mrmez

Splendid
Why can't you use a 4k 27" as a primary monitor?
I'm using a 5k 27" and it's great.
You are wasting good money on a good monitor, the high rez is largely wasted on an extended desktop, and totally wasted on games that will never run at 4k.

chenw

Honorable
To be honest, my main interest in a 4k monitor is really all about finding out, first hand, what 4k is all about, since there are numerous number of people swearing by it.

Back when I built my new Rig (i7-4790k with SLI 970's), using what I have learned from DSR'ing my resolution to 4k, reviews of game performance at 4k using the best GPUs at the time (980s and 290x's), I made a very conscious decision to not use 4k as my primary resolution, because I had found several completely unavoidable problems with 4k, not to spam this post with the reasons why, I still have no intentions to make 4k my main resolution.

But I, for some reason, have an itch to try 4k Monitor. As I have a large number of games which, although old, runs very well even at 4k, some cases even on a single GPU, thus I have that desire to try an actual 4k monitor.

I did mention that I find using 4k to play 1080p being really stupid, but that was in the context of using it as main monitor. Now that I am thinking of choosing 4k as my secondary monitor, I would like to keep the option of 1080p open, hence my desire for small screen. Even at 27" I found 1080p to be unbearably pixelated. I had came from VX2770SMH and I already could see lines between the pixels at normal sitting distance. After getting used to 1440p on 27", I have also found the VX2770 to be very pixelated, hence I want to avoid that by going for a small 4k monitor instead.

Also, it sounded like a good idea to have an IPS monitor complement a TN monitor.

It really is just a summation of wanting a second monitor for extra desktop space trying 4k resolution.

mrmez

Splendid
Going from a 2009 27" 1440 iMac to a 5k, I can really notice the difference. My 24" (144hz) 1080 gaming monitor I find almost unusable for anything other than gaming.

IMO, it's still expensive to do 4k right. Yeah, there are plenty of cheap 4k screens but I wouldn't waste my time.
Seems like an expensive exercise to 'try' 4k.

Any friends or shops where you can sit down and try one for 10 minutes?

chenw

Honorable
Unfortunately no, many of us have actually completely ditched PCs in favor of Smartphones as the primary multipedia device. Besides, those who do stick around with PC usually have PCs that are cheaper than the dell monitor :p.

I will have a word with the computer dealer I go to and see if there are any open box 4k monitors available for testing. Though I am entire sure if it will be an accurate test, as I feel there is a dramatic difference between 24 and 27 inchers.