4k on a 24" monitor

vinylpusher

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Hello,

I've been thinking of building a new system to go to 4k gaming. Is it worth it on a 24" monitor. Im sat about 2ft from my monitor as its just a normal desk, i never sit further away.

For gaming i feel 24" is a good size for me and my position.

Im still going to build a new system, but dont want to waste the money on a 4k monitor if im not going to get much benefit ? maybe a 1080p 120hz monitor would be better?

any advice? thanks

Solution
The standard dpi is 96 which I usually suggest for the max. That's about 23" for 1080p, 31" for 1440p. That's to have normal size objects on screen with no dpi scaling but you can really throw that out the window because 4k is going to be high dpi for a monitor size. Some software still have a dpi scaling issues so it's really small but you can't go wrong if you do go with a bigger monitor. The only thing as mentioned is once you get so large, you want a curve when sitting so close but that's going into tv size.

I've seen 24" 4k monitors and they look amazing but I don't know about usability as I never used one extensively. As for gaming, I don't think it's worth it at 24." Higher res is great when going with a bigger monitor for...
A monitor is a long term investment; consider your choice carefully.

Do you have a GTX1080ti or close to drive a 4k monitor at reasonable fps?

Of course, worth is something only YOU can determine.

Text on a 4k monitor can be very small. I think a larger monitor is better.
Consider something like 27" . Or, perhaps one of those 34" curved versions.

4k is here and will become much more popular.

vinylpusher

Distinguished
May 20, 2012

Well my build is primarily to move to 4k, so i would be building it to maintain at 4k (hopefully) but its just whether its worth spending the money on a budget 4k monitor or a more expensive 1080p or 1440p montior.

vinylpusher

Distinguished
May 20, 2012

i will be buying a 1080 or 1080ti yes,

only problem is, i can see myself sat at a desk gaming on a 27" or 34" monitor. I like using a keyboard and mouse rather than control pad.

I think 20" or 24" is a normal viewing distance from any monitor.

I have both a 27" and a 40" 4k monitor.
At 20-24", the image looks about right to me.
On the 40" 4k monitor, I wish I had a bit of a curve to it.

If you can, go see some monitor candidates in person.

The standard dpi is 96 which I usually suggest for the max. That's about 23" for 1080p, 31" for 1440p. That's to have normal size objects on screen with no dpi scaling but you can really throw that out the window because 4k is going to be high dpi for a monitor size. Some software still have a dpi scaling issues so it's really small but you can't go wrong if you do go with a bigger monitor. The only thing as mentioned is once you get so large, you want a curve when sitting so close but that's going into tv size.

I've seen 24" 4k monitors and they look amazing but I don't know about usability as I never used one extensively. As for gaming, I don't think it's worth it at 24." Higher res is great when going with a bigger monitor for immersion but it's not as much as a big deal for normal size monitors when playing games. 4k is also still a bit too early to keep fps high on all games with high detail settings. Plus those budget 4k monitors won't look as good color, contrast, etc, as a higher end 1080p or 1440p monitor.

Looking at the monitors in person is always a good idea. This subject is about personal preference.

Solution