4k on gtx1060

H3ndo08

Reputable
Sep 8, 2016
Hi all,

I have a msi gtx1060 6GB and I was wondering if it would be able to run games in at least 1440p while having another 1080p monitor to watch youtube or have discord open etc?

Also I've had a look around for samsung monitors that are 1440p but can only find 4k and 1080p versions. With that in mind, does 1440p look good on 4k monitors or does the upscaling make it better or worse?

Thanks

Solution
My monitor blurres too, if downscale from 1440p to 1080p and even worse if i go 720p (which is exact half of 1440). This is normal. While gaming, its not too bad, but if you need pixel perfect work, it looks so bad. But the upscaling is completely monitor dependent.

Playing with a GTX 1060 on 4k display in native resolution would be a pain, but depends on the games and fps you want. Fast games aren't fun at 30fps, but strategy games like Civilization would look very nice in 4k. But I don't recommend to pair that gpu with 4k. Its not worth the trouble. If you plan to play at lower resolution, then just get a monitor with lower resolution.

H3ndo08

Reputable
Sep 8, 2016
What would 1080p look like on a 4k monitor? Because in future I will probably upgrade to a 1080 so I might as well buy a 4k monitor instead of another 1080p but obviously I would want it to look good if I'm still running games at 1080p

Downscaling to 1080p will look like native 1080p. "Artificial" upscaling is where you loose quality and sharpness. Investing on a 4k today is a good practice so i would follow your thoughts as well if you plan to buy a gtx 1080 in the future.

On the vast majority of 4K displays, no it won't. That is just a myth.

It is a common misconception that running 1920 x 1080 on a ‘4K’ UHD monitor will automatically provide equivalent sharpness to a native 1920 x 1080 display. That belief is held because the UHD resolution has exactly twice as many pixels vertically and twice as many pixels horizontally as the Full HD resolution. In practice monitor interpolation processes aren’t perfect.

In the case of the Dell P2415Q, though, the interpolation process is surprisingly good. In fact we’d go as far as to say it’s excellent. If you run the monitor at 2560 x 1440 (WQHD) or 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) then you do lose a degree of sharpness compared to running that resolution on a 23.8” model that has a similar screen surface. This loss of sharpness is fairly minor, though, and is in fact one of the lowest losses of sharpness we’ve seen from an interpolation process on any monitor. On the desktop text looks a little soft but not really blurry as you’d usually observe from a normal viewing distance.

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-p2415q/

The image appears noticeably soft, much softer in fact than running 1920 x 1080 natively on your typical 27” Full HD LCD. Text appears to have a soft fringe and games look like they are being viewed through some sort of soft-focus lens. If you’re expecting things to look like they would on a native ‘1080p’ display, think again.

[...]

It is unfortunate to see that interpolation is handled so poorly by the monitor. It’s not entirely surprising, as we saw similar performance from the 28” ‘4K’ models. The Dell P2415Q, on the other hand, handled non-native resolutions surprisingly well.

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-pb279q/

Interesting ! Thanks for the info. I have also witnessed some sort of softness when downscaling the reso of my Samsung Full HD 24" but always blamed the resolution itself instead of the downscaling cons

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
My monitor blurres too, if downscale from 1440p to 1080p and even worse if i go 720p (which is exact half of 1440). This is normal. While gaming, its not too bad, but if you need pixel perfect work, it looks so bad. But the upscaling is completely monitor dependent.

Playing with a GTX 1060 on 4k display in native resolution would be a pain, but depends on the games and fps you want. Fast games aren't fun at 30fps, but strategy games like Civilization would look very nice in 4k. But I don't recommend to pair that gpu with 4k. Its not worth the trouble. If you plan to play at lower resolution, then just get a monitor with lower resolution.

Solution