May 11, 2021
Hello there!

As the title says, I want to buy an IPS 4k or 1440P monitor for less than 900$, which I will be using with my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017), and also a PS5 that I will buy soon.
I did some research, but it seems that there are so many options, and it a bit overwhelming so I hope someone could help :).

• My Usage:
    • Software development and a bit of UI design. So the text and colors should be clear, sharp, and easy on the eyes since I write code for long periods (Something close to Mac's retina display would be great). Also, the wider the monitor the better, since I always have a couple of windows/apps open at the same time, code editor + terminal + browser, etc...
    • Watch Movies/TV series In HD (1080p+).

• Resolution & Refresh Rate:
    • My current MacBook Pro is capable of supporting a 5120 x 2880 resolution at 60Hz ( More info here: under the "Video support" section ). I also have Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, if that might help.
    • AFAIK, the PS5 supports 1080p @ 120fps and 4k @ 120fps (via HDMI 2.1, which I don't think many monitors have atm, or it's gonna be super expensive). But it seems that there are some 1440p monitors that have a built-in ''Downscaler'' and it sounds promising I guess.
    • Something to note here, I am most likely to upgrade my MacBook Pro next year to M1 (Or even M2 when it's out), and I think it might support 4k at a higher refresh rate?

To sum it up, it seems that both my current MacBook Pro and the PS5 will be stuck at 4k @ 60Hz in my case anyway, but at the same time, I would like to have something future proof. So, what would be my best bet here? A 4k monitor @ 60Hz? Or a 1440p one with a much higher refresh rate? Please help me choose the best one from the list above, or suggest something better for the given price range.

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 11, 2021
Thanks for your input johnsoner13. I think I would pick the LG 27GL850 as well, but I find the Dell S2721QS and the Dell S2721DGF slightly better though. However, I am now leaning more towards a 32" - 34" display, I believe it will be more beneficial for productivity/work, as well as other general usages.

So, does anybody know which one of the monitors below would be the best from my all-in-one usage (MacBook Pro 2017 + PS5):

Last edited:

Endre

Reputable
Hello there!

As the title says, I want to buy an IPS 4k or 1440P monitor for less than 900$, which I will be using with my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017), and also a PS5 that I will buy soon.
I did some research, but it seems that there are so many options, and it a bit overwhelming so I hope someone could help :).

• My Usage:
    • Software development and a bit of UI design. So the text and colors should be clear, sharp, and easy on the eyes since I write code for long periods (Something close to Mac's retina display would be great). Also, the wider the monitor the better, since I always have a couple of windows/apps open at the same time, code editor + terminal + browser, etc...
    • Watch Movies/TV series In HD (1080p+).

• Resolution & Refresh Rate:
    • My current MacBook Pro is capable of supporting a 5120 x 2880 resolution at 60Hz ( More info here: under the "Video support" section ). I also have Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, if that might help.
    • AFAIK, the PS5 supports 1080p @ 120fps and 4k @ 120fps (via HDMI 2.1, which I don't think many monitors have atm, or it's gonna be super expensive). But it seems that there are some 1440p monitors that have a built-in ''Downscaler'' and it sounds promising I guess.
    • Something to note here, I am most likely to upgrade my MacBook Pro next year to M1 (Or even M2 when it's out), and I think it might support 4k at a higher refresh rate?

To sum it up, it seems that both my current MacBook Pro and the PS5 will be stuck at 4k @ 60Hz in my case anyway, but at the same time, I would like to have something future proof. So, what would be my best bet here? A 4k monitor @ 60Hz? Or a 1440p one with a much higher refresh rate? Please help me choose the best one from the list above, or suggest something better for the given price range.

Thanks!

After seeing 4K image, there’s no going back!

I own this 27” 4K @60Hz IPS monitor, and I recommend it:
ViewSonic VP2768-4K.

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/catalog/product_datasheet/view/key/vp2768-4k.html