4k or Curved?

Peti43

Honorable
Jun 10, 2014
S o I have a desktop with an OC FX-6300 16GB Ram and an R9 290 with a FullHD Samsung monitor 2ms response time but colours re nto great and generally i want to upgrade it... I will either buy a 4k monitor (U28D590D - Samsung UHD 28”) or a Curved monitor (Samsung Monitor 27'' LS27D590CS) which one should i buy and if you have another monitor to suggest me go ahead... :) I am just a tiny bit afraid of 4k due to my graphics power... i don't know if i prefer maxed out graphics in 1080p or medium-high or less graphics in 4k just for the resolution difference... 21:9 I think will make my gaming experience harder since i have eye problems and i can't see very well and because i will have to move my head the whole time

-Lone-

Admirable
With your build, I would say go for the curved, I've had the Samsung 4k monitor and it was great, I switched to TVs later, but overall I liked the Samsung 4k monitors. I also have that 1080p curved monitor, I don't use it but I have it, I bought it as a Christmas present. The "curving" part is not as curved as I thought, but it is still curved, lol. I thought you would have to sit in front of the monitor to have the best view, but after seeing a curved display up close it doesn't look too bad from other angles either. Overall the picture quality is pretty good for a curved monitor, the speakers are not that bad either, has multiple display connectors if you wanna hook up your PC and xbox to it if you want.

It may not be a bad idea to see if you can get a color profile for the current screen.

When calibrated even a cheaper screen can look better(not saying it will be the same as a more expensive unit, but still better.).

With the amount of power needed for 4K at higher settings, I think 120hz(most can run at 85 or 100 if your game is more demanding) 1920 x 1080 may be a better option for the time being.

Curved or not is a personal preference. I have not tried it so can not knock it. TN screens(what you get for speed, but not color accuracy or viewing angles) look worse from the sides so a bit of curve may well help this issue.

iamlegend

Admirable
Curve is for business, thus monitoring market trend/exchange rates/stock market/ doing 2D and 3D, that stuff are appropriate for getting the curve. Your GPU can handle 4k at 30FPS choppy gameplay, oh not even for a FX6300.

Get a high end 1080p and enjoy.

Peti43

Honorable
Jun 10, 2014
SO my current monitor is the samsung syncmaster sa350 21.5 inch and when i bought it it was considered one of the good one with 2ms response time etc. but my brother just bought a new 24 inch monitor i dont remember wichi one, and it has amazing colours since i tried it a bit, so i decided i needed a new monitor... if you think that curve is not something to write home about and that i will lag in 4k are there any others you can suggest me? on a price range 200-500$ but being the best one fro the money. I want to get what i pay for if you know what i mean...

There is a lot of personal preference in usage when selecting a monitor. Here is my $.02, which should be taken like I was a wise old owl speaking. I will just quickly review a few points put them in your perspective.

4K: I wouldn't even be looking at this unless you are looking for a large display for desktop work. A single AMD 290 doesn't have enough graphical power to play at this resolution with any great detail or refresh rate.

Curved: I find this to be really trendy. First came the Samsung 4K curved TV's. Unless you are sitting really close to it or have a GIGANTIC curved screen, this isn't going to really look good or "immerse" you into what you are watching. Now they make curved desktop monitors. Unless these have the aspect ratio of 3 wide screen displays to replace a 3 monitor setup, I wouldn't even look at these.

IPS: THIS is what I think might fit your bill. You have a single AMD 290 card. To run any good detail in game you should be running at 1080P 60Hz, (maybe 120Hz if you really want super smooth, but will come at the cost of turning down settings or adding a second card). IPS gives you the best color and great viewing angles.

So take that as you will. In the end it's your choice.

2560 x 1440 is less demanding on the card, but depending on the game may still have some performance issues.

21:9 is not something I would personally like(would rather 16:10, but have since moved to 16:9 with a shortage of 16:10 screens), but some users like it quite a bit. I recommend seeing if you can check one out in store to see what you think.

Peti43

Honorable
Jun 10, 2014
Thank you all guys for your answers :) I will go to the shop and check them all out i don't think i will go for the 4k since you told me i will not have nice gameplay and i even found some benchmarks online that weren't really good... I will see the curve and the 21:9 ratio monitors and i will decide what to buy:) Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS