4k or dual 1080

confusedmonkeys

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
I'm upgrading my monitor setup from a single 21.5 inch 1080 Asus which has served me well for 4 years. Now I have a bigger desk which holds a 42 inch TV comfortably. And I have been getting serious with programming I'm needing some more screen space. After a couple of months of research I've narrowed it down to 2 27 inch 1080 monitors or 1 4k monitor most likely the Asus PB287Q. The 27 inch screens I was looking at were the BenQ GW2760HM's. The most I'm willing to fork out is £400. I'll be keeping the 21.5 inch to use in portrait along with any new monitor(s). I'll also be hooking up a ps4 to a screen so I need two inputs one being HDMI the other can be either dvi, HDMI or display port. Another thing is I do a bit of PC gaming on a GTX 770 2GB graphics card.

Any opinions on 4k or dual monitors are appreciated. Having only ever used one 21.5 inch monitor I don't have much to go on.

Solution
I think you've answer your own question since you said you're a programmer that needs more monitor space, so I think 2-3 monitor setup would be best for you. You'd have to upgrade "a lot" to run 4k at a stable level anyways, so if you want some more screen to work with and save your money, 2-3 monitor setup would help with what you want as of right now. Later on 4k will become cheaper and more mainstream, so unless you're willing and determined to put the extra money and work for 4k, I wouldn't recommend 4k, you'd need to spend a couple thousand of dollars for it.

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Well, if you are serious about coding, then sooner or later you'll run out of place on one monitor - be it 1080p od 4K. Two or three monitors is the safer bet.
As for the gaming - for 4K you'll need to upgrade your graphic card too - min 4GB of vram to store the textures and a power of a beast is required /980 or double 970/

-Lone-

Admirable
I think you've answer your own question since you said you're a programmer that needs more monitor space, so I think 2-3 monitor setup would be best for you. You'd have to upgrade "a lot" to run 4k at a stable level anyways, so if you want some more screen to work with and save your money, 2-3 monitor setup would help with what you want as of right now. Later on 4k will become cheaper and more mainstream, so unless you're willing and determined to put the extra money and work for 4k, I wouldn't recommend 4k, you'd need to spend a couple thousand of dollars for it.

Solution