4k Pre-Alpha Gaming: Ryzen 1700 or I7 7700k

Storx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
So after dealing with lots of heat issues with my old R9 390 after switching from 1080p gaming to 4k gaming i splurged a little and bought a GTX 1080ti, but since buying it im actually getting less FPS in many of the games i play on a normal basis and my CPU % has increased some, placing it in the 80-90% range average while gaming. After talking to MSI tech support and running some testing, they telling me that the games i play are being held back by the CPU, even tho the CPU is not ever maxing out at 100%, they are telling me that the game is probably not designed to lean so heavily on the CPU, so system is getting confused and its not maxing out either, neither GPU or CPU during gaming. Good example of what im talking about is 7 days to die, i play that a lot and previously at 4k high settings i was getting average 63fps @ 100% GPU load with my R9 390 with a few things turned down, without changing a single setting the GTX 1080ti never exceeds 38% GPU load and my FPS averages 48fps for some weird reason and my CPU is averaging 81% on package....So which CPU is better for games that are probably less optimized from the start, since i play a lot of newer pre-alpha games when i come across them...

In regards to the ryzen 1700 over the 1800x, i have watched so many videos on overclocking the ryzen CPU's and everyone is able to match the clock of the 1800x with the 1700 on the same motherboards... so it seems the 1700 is less of a CPU stock, but with just simple overclocking it matches the 1800x in performance for less cash..

Solution
In games where you're seeing 81% CPU utilization and 38% GPU, what's most likely happening is that even if the game is multithreaded, the other threads are waiting on the master thread. This would be a classic case of single-threaded bottlenecking. A Ryzen 1700 has 4 times as many threads, but it would probably sit at something like 20-30% utilization while still CPU-bottlenecking, because most of the threads would sit idle. For this reason the 7700K would be a better choice - per-thread performance is very significantly higher because of greater clockspeed and IPC.
In games where you're seeing 81% CPU utilization and 38% GPU, what's most likely happening is that even if the game is multithreaded, the other threads are waiting on the master thread. This would be a classic case of single-threaded bottlenecking. A Ryzen 1700 has 4 times as many threads, but it would probably sit at something like 20-30% utilization while still CPU-bottlenecking, because most of the threads would sit idle. For this reason the 7700K would be a better choice - per-thread performance is very significantly higher because of greater clockspeed and IPC.

Solution

Storx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008

do you know why this would happen with only a GPU swap? my fps went down... why would the old GPU not cause the single thread bottleneck yet achieve higher fps?

TRENDING THREADS