4k screen flicker when connected with DisplayPort cable on nvidia GTX 750 ti graphics

m101

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Hi,

I am experiencing a flickering problem whereby my monitor flashes on and off, and there are pink/green lines across the screen. The problem occurs only when connected via a DisplayPort cable. Here's a quick video I uploaded earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xMNaVMOycg

I do not get the problem when I connect with an hdmi connection to the monitor - it is running at 30hz judging by what it says in the display settings and it's running at the same resolution.

I have the following new build:

Asus Strix GTX 750 ti graphics card
Asus Z97i-plus motherboard
Samsung LU28D590DS 4k screen connected via DisplayPort cable (so that it handles 60hz at 4k)
16gb of ram
Xeon E3-1230 v3
My PSU is 500W which is more than enough for the machine i'm currently running.
I've downloaded all of the latest nvidia drivers and my system is running an updated 64bit version of windows 7 professional.

I would really appreciate any help and will keep you updated with what works.

Thank you!

Solution
Since you you tried different cables and tried a different PC on the monitor, then yes it is mostly likely your GPU. Plus the GPU is kinda old for 4k, so it might, just might not be able to handle 4k even in desktop.

-Lone-

Admirable
Have you tried another DP cable? The cable could be defective, or sometimes it may even be the port that's built onto the monitor that's defective. Try another DP cable and see if the problem is still there, if it is, it could be the monitor that's defective with DP. How long have you had this monitor, is this problem recent?

m101

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Hi - thank you for the answers.

All this is brand new - just put it together last night.

I haven't tried another displayport cable, but my work has lent me a DisplayPort->DVI cable which i will try later. Should i try and get a hold of a DisplayPort->DisplayPort cable to check that too?

-Lone-

Admirable

Which monitor do you have? I would stick with DP to DP, DP to anything else will most likely cause more issues than it solves for 4k@60Hz.

m101

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
My monitor doesn't actually have the mini DisplayPort connector, so I guess I should just try another DisplayPort cable. I will let you know how that goes.

Have you seen this type of problem occuring because of a faulty cable?

-Lone-

Admirable

Oh, right, my bad, I have mini DP, hahaha. Here's DP to DP. I have had that monitor before, it was only for a month and half, but I have never seen that problem before.

www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort/dp/B005H3Q59U/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1423561960&sr=1-1&keywords=displayport+1.2

-Lone-

Admirable

Now that's some complicated info, lol. Well, the cables I use work perfectly fine if you want ones that are "proper". In case the ones you have are not working either.

m101

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
trying another cable didn't work. The problem is the same, if not worse. Also, using a DVI connector to the graphics card into the DisplayPort in the monitor didn't work either..

Does anyone think the problem is to do with the graphics card? Again, HDMI connection works fine..

-Lone-

Admirable
Then it could be the monitor or the GPU, have you ever tried to use the DP port that was on the GPU before this monitor, if so, did it give you these problems? If you have another PC with DP connector, try that and see if it works, if it still gives you the same issues, then I would think it is the DP connection that's built in the monitor.

m101

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
I just carried my monitor 2 miles to work and can see that the monitor works fine, no flickers - it's perfect. Would this suggest it's the graphics card DisplayPort slot?

-Lone-

Admirable
Since you you tried different cables and tried a different PC on the monitor, then yes it is mostly likely your GPU. Plus the GPU is kinda old for 4k, so it might, just might not be able to handle 4k even in desktop.

Solution