Question 4K TV as a monitor - Laptop video output ...

ksn380

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Good day folks,

I'm itching to get a 4K display. I'm currently running 3 1080p monitors via my laptop. One of my monitors is connected to the laptop via HDMI, the other 2 are connected to a USB 3.0 video adapter via HDMI & DVI. Unfortunately, my laptop doesn't output 4K.
I'm thinking of purchasing a TCL 5 Series 4K TV (49S517). This will replace all my monitors.

I know I can enjoy 4K via Netflix, YouTube and other apps via the Roku platform built in to the TV.

However, in order to get 4K from my laptop, I'll either need a USB 3.0 to 4K adapter (Plugable USB 3.0 4K Displayport Adapter) or an external Graphics Card or a new PC with a graphics card that can output 4K.

Can you folks chime in with your two cents? Which way should I go? What are the pros & cons of the choices I have?

Thanks in advance.

KSN

bfcallan

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I think you laid out your options pretty well there. You could go with getting a new home theater PC that works with a new 4k TV. Pros with this is being able to put nicer hardware and potentially run games if you are into that sort of thing. Could also be nice to have a dedicated PC with a wireless keyboard, Plex, and movies stored. If you do not want to spend all of that money it sounds like your best bet is to go with that first option, the USB 3 to 4k adapter.