[SOLVED] 4k TV display

metallfan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
Hi all,

with the new consoles around the corner, I have started looking at upgrading my display top 4K. I have so far been gaming on a PC plugged to 1080p monitor, and have not bought a TV in over a decade. As such I would love to get some advise on what to look out for, assuming I have very little technical knowledge on TVs, so not sure what the difference is between for example HDR 10/12/Hybryd, what some of the technical bullet points mean or what refresh rate TVs normally work on.

I would like to get something that will enable me to fully utilize Xbox Series X's capabilities.

Any advise would be more than appreciated.

Solution
I'll save you some time.

LG OLEDs are what you should target.

For gaming, refresh rate (higher is better)
Input Lag and Response time (lower is better)
Adaptive Sync (Freesync / G sync) = good

Other characteristics for image quality, not necessarily gaming in general: HDR / Brightness, contract ratio, light bleed, etc.

Here is a good source of info on specific questions:

metallfan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
Have you looked at https://www.rtings.com/ ? They explain their testing methodology pretty well.
Thanks for the reply. I have had a quick look at ratings, but the dilemma I'm having is more to do with the fact that the TV will be mainly used for gaming and I am not sure what I should be looking at exactly in order to have that experience as smooth as possible. I'd be interested to know what technicality I should be looking out for that the new Xbox will be supporting and what the deal is with FPS when it comes to TVs ans in-shop I could not find any info on the tickets (couldn't get hold of anyone from the staff, because COVID). So what I am looking for is someone more knowledgeable to explain to me the technical terms and their use for my purpose if that makes sense.

larsv8

Distinguished
I'll save you some time.

Other characteristics for image quality, not necessarily gaming in general: HDR / Brightness, contract ratio, light bleed, etc.

Solution

metallfan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
I'll save you some time.

Thanks. Will Gsync work with the consoles? I thought thy're based on AMD cards?

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Once you go OLED you will never want to Go LED.
I think Async is pretty pointless on an OLED display. They are capable of a 0.001 ms Refresh Rate. Adding something to time the refreshes would only slow it down verse refreshing on demand. The limiting factor is the cable standard.

metallfan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
Once you go OLED you will never want to Go LED.
I think Async is pretty pointless on an OLED display. They are capable of a 0.001 ms Refresh Rate. Adding something to time the refreshes would only slow it down verse refreshing on demand. The limiting factor is the cable standard.
I think you're confusing pixel response time and refresh rate.

And I'm not sure why one wouldn't take advantage VRR when available. Especially at high resolution.