[SOLVED] 4k TV for 1080p and 1440p gaming and 4k movies

DucTon2911

Prominent
Jun 29, 2020
Hello guys, I'm totally new to the forum. I'm planning to build a gaming PC like this:
  • Core i7 9700k
  • Z390 Aorus Ultra
  • 16GB RAM Corsair LPX 3200
  • Gigabyte RTX2070 Super Gaming OC 3x
  • Corsair RM650x 650W 80Plus Gold
  • LG Oled55B9PLA

My main purpose for this PC is for gaming, like only 2 days per week cause I'm working, and also enjoying 4k Movies with my family.
  • My 1st question is how it will be if I play games on 1080p ultra on the 55inch 4k TV ? I know that RTX2070 Super can handle 4k gaming but for some games I still want to enjoy the Ultra settings although it's only 1080p or 1440p.
  • My 2nd question is for the Audio. I'm planning to buy the Logitech Z506 5.1 to enjoy the movies. So is it better to use the speaker from the TV itself or adding a PC speakers like that cause right now a home theatre system is kinda not on the list. Please note that my living room is not big as well
Thank you guys very much for reading my question and any kind of suggestions and answers for a better component is warmly welcomed

Solution
Thank you for the recommendation but that LG Oled is G Sync compatible with 120hz so I'm kinda convinced with its gaming performance. For the gaming monitor, I thought about it like I can use the Display port for the monitor and the HDMI for the TV but it seems like kinda wasteful for both stuffs right ?
The 2019 LG OLED's are actually better than some of the large BFG monitors. Also Sync is not a must, I have a 1440p 144Hz with G-Sync and with 120+fps I don't suffer any screen tearing and actually have G-Sync switched off as I play FPS games and I can notice the lag G-Sync adds. The 120Hz will only be at 1080p & 1440p as no gpu's support HDMI 2.1 which is needed for 4k 120Hz, once gpu's support it the TV will run 4k 120Hz...

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Monitors are monitors; TVs are TVs. And if you are into gaming buying a monitor with a Sync technology is a must. QHD monitors are now the sweet spot both in performance and price. 4K monitors do not have high refresh rates, and expensive. Your setting (CPU and GPU) is enough for a QHD monitor for good performance.

If you are planning to use that computer with the TV only, then buy a Playstation or Xbox, these make better sense.

Reactions: DucTon2911

DucTon2911

Prominent
Jun 29, 2020
Monitors are monitors; TVs are TVs. And if you are into gaming buying a monitor with a Sync technology is a must. QHD monitors are now the sweet spot both in performance and price. 4K monitors do not have high refresh rates, and expensive. Your setting (CPU and GPU) is enough for a QHD monitor for good performance.

If you are planning to use that computer with the TV only, then buy a Playstation or Xbox, these make better sense.
Thank you for the recommendation but that LG Oled is G Sync compatible with 120hz so I'm kinda convinced with its gaming performance. For the gaming monitor, I thought about it like I can use the Display port for the monitor and the HDMI for the TV but it seems like kinda wasteful for both stuffs right ?

The 2019 LG OLED's are actually better than some of the large BFG monitors. Also Sync is not a must, I have a 1440p 144Hz with G-Sync and with 120+fps I don't suffer any screen tearing and actually have G-Sync switched off as I play FPS games and I can notice the lag G-Sync adds. The 120Hz will only be at 1080p & 1440p as no gpu's support HDMI 2.1 which is needed for 4k 120Hz, once gpu's support it the TV will run 4k 120Hz. However I would avoid the B9 and go C9 or E9. The weaker processor of the B9 is not as good for motion and better for upscaling 1080p & 1440p.

Reactions: DucTon2911
Solution

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
I don't know how you are planning to use your computer and TV together, but I would rather buy a good QHD 27" monitor, and one 4K 52" monitor without G-Sync thus less expensive.

You can of course use the display port for monitor, HDMI for the TV. But it will not be that usable.

DucTon2911

Prominent
Jun 29, 2020
The 2019 LG OLED's are actually better than some of the large BFG monitors. Also Sync is not a must, I have a 1440p 144Hz with G-Sync and with 120+fps I don't suffer any screen tearing and actually have G-Sync switched off as I play FPS games and I can notice the lag G-Sync adds. The 120Hz will only be at 1080p & 1440p as no gpu's support HDMI 2.1 which is needed for 4k 120Hz, once gpu's support it the TV will run 4k 120Hz. However I would avoid the B9 and go C9 or E9. The weaker processor of the B9 is not as good for motion and better for upscaling 1080p & 1440p.
Thank you so much for the information, I'm kinda wondering between B9 or C9, cause E9 is kinda over the budget ^^! The only thing that's tickling me now is to know how it will be to play 1080p ultra settings on a 55inch 4k TV