[SOLVED] 4K TV(LG SJ8500) - Trying to run at 120hz - 1920x1080

redxspoon

Honorable
May 1, 2017
TV: LG SJ8500
Cable: HDMI 2.0
Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Turbo Edition

I'm using my 4k(60hz) LED tv as a secondary monitor for my PC. I bought an HDMI 2.0 cable, and according to my research, the gtx1070 hdmi port, cable, and tv are compatible with 120hz at 1920x1080.

I've double and triple checked my Nvidia control panel settings:

But my experience/eyes are telling me something else. The screen seems like it's running at 60hz or lower. Just circling those sections in red in the image above was terribly difficult due to the lag.

I found this video, and it demonstrates what I'm experiencing. I've attempted to switch the HDMI port on the back of the TV that I'm using, with no luck.

Any suggestions or advice would be wonderful.

Thank you
Nicholas

Solution
After a little more digging, I found out what was causing this for me. It was the Auto Power Save mode. I switched the mode to 'Game Mode' and it's much better now. Here's the article and comment that I got the info from:

https://www.urtech.ca/2017/03/sovled-fix-mouse-lag-4k-screens/
Koko September 21, 2018 at 10:34 am
Thanks for the article. I have a similar problem with my LG television. I actually tried the some if not all of their advice but it didn’t help. The solution ended up to be something much simpler. Om many TVs that are features to smooth out the video. the problem with those features is that they use a buffer, and the buffer is what creates the lag. On my television there is an option to choose a picture mode called game...
hi, your tv has 120hz panel
i dont have lg, got samsung here, in order (for me) to enable hdmi 2.0, i have to enable hdmi uhd collor setting in tv
in your manual this setting is under general -> hdmi ultra hd deep color
this will switch your HDMI frequency to ~594MHz which will result in 4k @ 60Hz / 1080p @ 100~120hz

redxspoon

Honorable
May 1, 2017

Hi Kerberos_20

Thank you for your answer. 10 min after posting this, I actually found the issue, or part of it(linked below). Basically I turned Game Mode on for my LG TV, and that fixed the smoothing lag I was experiencing. I'm not 100% sure it looks like 120hz to me. So I did play around with this HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color setting you mentioned. I turned it off and on multiple times, and I don't know that I saw a difference in the perceived mouse lag, but I'm going to keep digging.

Again thank you for your response. I'm going to post the game mode thing as the answer here.

Thanks for the article. I have a similar problem with my LG television. I actually tried the some if not all of their advice but it didn’t help. The solution ended up to be something much simpler. Om many TVs that are features to smooth out the video. the problem with those features is that they use a buffer, and the buffer is what creates the lag. On my television there is an option to choose a picture mode called game mode, which doesn’t do any smoothing, and eliminates the lag. You also get a much clearer picture and more true to the source. maybe you should add this to your article maybe as a first step because it’s so easy to just choose this on the television and see if the problem is gone. Glad to help.

redxspoon

Honorable
May 1, 2017
After a little more digging, I found out what was causing this for me. It was the Auto Power Save mode. I switched the mode to 'Game Mode' and it's much better now. Here's the article and comment that I got the info from:

Thanks for the article. I have a similar problem with my LG television. I actually tried the some if not all of their advice but it didn’t help. The solution ended up to be something much simpler. Om many TVs that are features to smooth out the video. the problem with those features is that they use a buffer, and the buffer is what creates the lag. On my television there is an option to choose a picture mode called game mode, which doesn’t do any smoothing, and eliminates the lag. You also get a much clearer picture and more true to the source. maybe you should add this to your article maybe as a first step because it’s so easy to just choose this on the television and see if the problem is gone. Glad to help.

Thank you
Nicholas

Solution