Sgt. S. Muffins

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
I have recently purchased a 50" Samsung NU6900 giggity and I've noticed a weird phenomenon that I'm at a loss for. Before we get started, I've calibrated the TV, and turned my sharpness all the way down to 0. All of my 1080p content looks jagged, think brawl without the deflicker turned on. I've been using circles to gauge this since they're the most difficult shape to render with pixels, and both my Switch, Wii U, and Wii U in backwards compatible mode show this rigid content. At first I thought I had just gotten used to the 4K and it was all in my head, but then I plugged in my vanilla Wii and... The exact same circles that look so edgy are smooth as butter (by Wii standards) running at 480 freaking p. I'm using an HDMI converter that plugs into the back (I'll post a link if anyone needs it), but it still outputs a 720x480 signal. I've never owned a 4K display before, but from what I understand 1080p divides evenly into 4k, and so does 480p for that matter. I've heard this and that about good and bad upscaling but... It's an even resolution, I don't even understand why it has to upscale in the first place. 1 pixel becomes 4, what's the issue? I'm guessing something I'm too dumb to know, so if anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AueJ5Eh1vwplg4BmhKUep9KijWlxUg

Thanks guys!!! 💗

Sgt. S. Muffins

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
Check the zoom settings. Make sure it isn't zooming in or out a little. Also turn off any automatic filters like motion enhancement, noise reduction, &c.
Nope. I have tried fit to screen both on and off. Same result. Been in and out of game mode as well, which bypasses all unnecessary processing. Also, the Wii and other systems are all running into the same av receiver, so the settings are identical. Yet the vanilla Wii looks totally fine for some reason.