[SOLVED] 4k TV with 120hz native refresh rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2018
Hello, im new to the pc gaming stuff and i already buy a samsung Q6FN 4k tv with 120hz native refresh rate, but in the details from https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q6fn-q6f-q6-2018
its says support 1080p @ 120Hz but not with 4k @ 120Hz
My question is : if i already have a decent sli gpu that can play 4k at 120 fps, will it actually run at 4k 120 fps on my tv, if not what does it means to have 120hz NATIVE refresh rate, do i need to downscale the resolution to 1080p in order to achieve 120fps ? or buy the new HDMI 2.1

Solution
HDMI 2.1 is not something you buy, it is something that must be implemented in the TV. This is currently not possible since the HDMI 2.1 compliance specification has not been finished yet. HDMI 2.1 products that implement enough bandwidth for 4K 120 Hz will not be here for a long time.

Currently all TVs use HDMI 2.0, which means a maximum of 60 Hz at 4K.
HDMI 2.1 is not something you buy, it is something that must be implemented in the TV. This is currently not possible since the HDMI 2.1 compliance specification has not been finished yet. HDMI 2.1 products that implement enough bandwidth for 4K 120 Hz will not be here for a long time.

Currently all TVs use HDMI 2.0, which means a maximum of 60 Hz at 4K.

Solution

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Man that really sucks a big one. I wanted to get a 70 in h 120hz 4k t.v. for gaming. What I don't get is that if the tv can support 120hz 4k, but the issue is the cable then why not just add display port to tv's, how much could that really cost?

A 40 inch 4k 120hz gaming display is so expensive and way too small

It would cost a lot, because TV manufacturers are the creators of the HDMI specification, they collect royalty fees from everyone else who implements it. If other devices start using DisplayPort instead, that is money they are not collecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS