[SOLVED] 4k video playback on 10 year old PC

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
is 4k video (HEVC mkv) playback on 10 year old PC with the following config possible? Intel i5 760 , Gigabyte p55 MB , Geforce GT 710 GPU , 256 Pcie SSD plus 4 TB HDD. I use my Samsung UHD TV as the display monitor.

I had no issues with 1080p to quad HD but 4K always lags/stutters/sync issues. Since i started fiddling with refresh rate, resolution, color space etc settings, 1440p is also stuttering. The same 1440p or higher res youtube video is running smooth when played from the TV's inbuilt software.

Need advise on any settings that need tweaking if hardware is not an issue. I don't have any problem with the hardware for the current light usage and movie play in full HD. Just seeing if i can play 4K with the same hardware.

Solution
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of upgrading to 1650 super as its similarly priced to 1050 ti. Just have to check if the current psu can handle it.

It doesn't take much to power a 1650, a solid Seasonic Focus 550 should do the trick (which you can get for less than $100). Video output is only as good as your GPU, so you need a decent one to be able to output to high resolutions and refresh rates. Also make sure you get some high quality HDMI cables because if you want output to higher resolutions, your standard $20 HDMI cable isn't going to cut it.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
4 gigs. Never gave a thought on the RAM as they are older DDR3. 2 gigs on the GPU as well. I guess i'll try adding 4-8 gigs more and see if that helps.

Any other suggestions???

Ok, after doing some light research, it seems that the cpu takes the heaviest hit when playing back video. Check usages while watching the video, and see what happens

Endre

Reputable
is 4k video (HEVC mkv) playback on 10 year old PC with the following config possible? Intel i5 760 , Gigabyte p55 MB , Geforce GT 710 GPU , 256 Pcie SSD plus 4 TB HDD. I use my Samsung UHD TV as the display monitor.

I had no issues with 1080p to quad HD but 4K always lags/stutters/sync issues. Since i started fiddling with refresh rate, resolution, color space etc settings, 1440p is also stuttering. The same 1440p or higher res youtube video is running smooth when played from the TV's inbuilt software.

Need advise on any settings that need tweaking if hardware is not an issue. I don't have any problem with the hardware for the current light usage and movie play in full HD. Just seeing if i can play 4K with the same hardware.

The maximum resolution supported by your GPU is 3840x2160 @30Hz.
Not being able to run things at 60Hz refresh rate isn’t ideal.
I’d get a newer cheap GPU that can display 4K images at 60Hz.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I reduced the refresh rate in nvidia control panel to 30, then further to 23 but still the same issues. Should i reduce the refresh rate in my tv as well? i'm ok with 30 ore lower since movies are meant for that frame rate.

Endre

Reputable
I reduced the refresh rate in nvidia control panel to 30, then further to 23 but still the same issues. Should i reduce the refresh rate in my tv as well? i'm ok with 30 ore lower since movies are meant for that frame rate.

No, I wouldn’t do that.
I, personally, also bought a 4K monitor recently, and my old GeForce GT 640 couldn’t deliver 4K content at 60Hz, so I bought a used GeForce GTX 1050 Ti for $85 and it works well.

g-unit1111

Titan
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of upgrading to 1650 super as its similarly priced to 1050 ti. Just have to check if the current psu can handle it.

It doesn't take much to power a 1650, a solid Seasonic Focus 550 should do the trick (which you can get for less than $100). Video output is only as good as your GPU, so you need a decent one to be able to output to high resolutions and refresh rates. Also make sure you get some high quality HDMI cables because if you want output to higher resolutions, your standard $20 HDMI cable isn't going to cut it.

Solution

Endre

Reputable

Actually, if the monitor, the cable, or the graphics card don’t support HDMI 2.0 or higher, then I recommend using DisplayPort.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Thanks again for the feedback. My TV supports HDMI 2.0 and doesn't have display port. HDMI cables are from monster bought a few years back. My current PSU is 500 watts from Gigabyte and has a six+2 pin available for GPU. Will bite the bullet for 1650 super in the coming week and hope it all works out!!!

Nov 4, 2020
On a side note. Do you have to play the HEVC files, can you re-encode to something less intensive with Handbrake? Additionally, have you tried a really efficient HEVC decoder like Strongene? Lastly, have you tried different players. I find I have issues playing some HEVC files using VLC, but the same file is smooth as butter using Pot Player. YMMV. Good luck man :)

g-unit1111

Titan
Thanks again for the feedback. My TV supports HDMI 2.0 and doesn't have display port. HDMI cables are from monster bought a few years back. My current PSU is 500 watts from Gigabyte and has a six+2 pin available for GPU. Will bite the bullet for 1650 super in the coming week and hope it all works out!!!

Yeah you might want to upgrade that PSU at some point, that's not a good unit and won't last through heavy loads. I would suggest getting something much better. Doesn't have to be immediate but would be a necessity later.

Reactions: Endre