4K Video Playback with an APU?

Seth L

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
Need someone who's actually got a feel for these. I need an APU that can handle 4K video playback. This thing will never play games, it's simply going to be an HTPC.
I prefer AMD hardware compared to Intel/NVidia. So if I need a dedicated GPU for 4K playback, give me a Radeon GPU that would be passable. I do not want to 'future proof' it, so I don't need overkill, please.

I should also probably note that this will be used to stream over a home network on occasion when I'm in other rooms. Not sure if that affects the hardware an HTPC needs, never built one before. This will be my first build.

Any recommendations for builds? Obviously since I'm looking for an APU, I'm looking to go really, really cheap.

Solution
Not really. Netflix has some 4K stuff, but you can only watch it on a compatible 4K TV using the smart TV netflix app and the content is pretty small.

Some of the studios have mastered stuff in 4k, then downsampled to 1080p for bluray, so it was 4k, but we only get 1080p.

4K bluray standard is supposed to be out this year, but who knows what it will require pc wise.

Copy protection is going to be huge and I bet some older 4K TV's and 4K monitors won't be able to display half of it.

Seth L

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014

There isn't? I thought I had heard awhile back that there was quite a bit of stuff out there. My bad.

Not really. Netflix has some 4K stuff, but you can only watch it on a compatible 4K TV using the smart TV netflix app and the content is pretty small.

Some of the studios have mastered stuff in 4k, then downsampled to 1080p for bluray, so it was 4k, but we only get 1080p.

4K bluray standard is supposed to be out this year, but who knows what it will require pc wise.

Copy protection is going to be huge and I bet some older 4K TV's and 4K monitors won't be able to display half of it.

Solution