[SOLVED] 4k vs 1080p gaming performance

giblien

Distinguished
May 17, 2007
Hello,

So I am going to be getting a new gaming laptop sometime in the next year, and I have been going back and forth between a 4k monitor and 1080p. My main question is this: when it gets to the point where the games I play won't do well on 4k, how much of a performance increase could I expect to have running the get at 1080p on a 4k monitor? Anyone have any insights?

Solution
+1^
The graphics chip would have to render 4 times the screen pixels/texles that it would at 1080p. That translates into at least 1/4 of the fps you would get at 1080p.
But that doesn't mean you couldn't still play at 1080p rez. And use the 4K for movies, etc.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
+1^
The graphics chip would have to render 4 times the screen pixels/texles that it would at 1080p. That translates into at least 1/4 of the fps you would get at 1080p.
But that doesn't mean you couldn't still play at 1080p rez. And use the 4K for movies, etc.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
when it gets to the point where the games I play won't do well on 4k
Unless you're buying some monster desktop replacement laptop, you're talking about older/less demanding games, or you're ok with turning down settings significantly you probably won't be able to game well at 4K from the get go. Assuming "well" means averaging somewhere in the neighbourhood of 60fps.

TRENDING THREADS