4K vs 1440p?

rehany147

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017
Hey. I'm thinking of building a new gaming pc with a GTX 1080 TI but I'm torn between the display i want to get. If i get a 1440p display i can get ~100 FPS but with lower resolution of 1440p obviously. But if i get 4K i will get ~55 FPS on most games but at 4K. The question is, which one is better for all kinds of titles, from the Witcher 3 to Far Cry to The Tomb Raider to Battlefield 1.

1440p at ~100 fps or 4K at ~55 fps? Personally i would prefer the higher framerates but I've never owned either of those displays. So i won't know what I'm missing out on.

Solution
higher framerates are are always better. 4k monitors are not worth it. everything appears very tiny on your screen unless you scale, but then things look weird or get cut off. it will not improve your gaming experience. it is really just bragging rights. 1440p at 27" is just right. forget about 4k.
higher framerates are are always better. 4k monitors are not worth it. everything appears very tiny on your screen unless you scale, but then things look weird or get cut off. it will not improve your gaming experience. it is really just bragging rights. 1440p at 27" is just right. forget about 4k.

Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
either way you look at it you are upgrading. HD I presume? which of the displays have you seen? you gotta look at it all the time not us, I suggest actually seeing them first, if you can.
I suggest the 1440p I'm with you on the extra [strike]power[/strike] FPS.

gaborbarla

Distinguished

1440p @144Hz all the way. I wouldn't even think about this at all. 144Hz will make everything so smooth and the extra frames will not get lost over 60Hz like they would on the 4K monitor. Get yourself a 1440p 144Hz gaming monitor and it will fly on the 1080ti and look awesome. I have a similar setup in my profile but with a GTX1080.

rehany147

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017

Any suggestions? For a good 1440p display? I was thinking of getting ASUS PG279Q but what is your opinion on ultra wide displays?

rehany147

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017

Any suggestions? I was thinking of getting ASUS PG279Q. But are there better options?

i have the pg278q. 100% on board with you getting the newer version. great monitor. im not a fan of ultra wide gaming. its too far off from your field of vision and makes things more confusing imo. if you want to multi task better, just get a second 1080p monitor.