4K vs QHD question.

CStretch

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
I am thinking about buying the new Razer Blade Stealth, and it comes with a 4k option or a QHD option

The Blade Stealth doesn't have a very strong graphics card, and relies strongly on an external GPU for high quality graphics.

My question is that, if I won't be using an external GPU and only using the on board gpu (not really using it for gaming, just a high performance laptop) is it worth it to get the 4K version? I guess what I mean is; how much does 4K quality rely on a strong GPU? Would it make much of a difference if I choose the QHD instead if I'm not going to be using a high end GPU?

Solution
You won't need a strong GPU if you are not gaming on 4k. However the real question to ask (in my mind) is what is the benefit of 4k resolution on a screen that small. Realistically 4k only starts showing benefits on large screens > 55". Personally, I'd save the money on the 4k screen and get some better upgrades - on a small screen 1080p is going to look just fine.

arossetti

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
You won't need a strong GPU if you are not gaming on 4k. However the real question to ask (in my mind) is what is the benefit of 4k resolution on a screen that small. Realistically 4k only starts showing benefits on large screens > 55". Personally, I'd save the money on the 4k screen and get some better upgrades - on a small screen 1080p is going to look just fine.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan

Maybe when you are sitting on a couch 8-10' across the living room, but not when you are sitting 2-3' away from your screen at your desk. For reading text and schematics, higher resolution make edges cleaner and easier to read.

At 13" though, the difference between QHD and UHD may be difficult to see from a normal typing position.

Doggie314

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

i have found 40 inch 4k very usefuk with icons ok size p[hillips bdm4065uc times 2