[SOLVED] 4K vs Ultrawide -- Which is Better?

Solution
i've currently got both connected to my main PC,
a 34" 2K 120Hz ultra-wide monitor & a 55" 4K 120Hz HDR TV.

i would choose the ultra-wide for gaming any day. it's much more immersive with a much broader field of view.
plus for decent 4K game settings and fps it takes a quite a bit more powerful system.
i would never go back to 16:9 for my main gaming display after using ultra-wide.
i've currently got both connected to my main PC,
a 34" 2K 120Hz ultra-wide monitor & a 55" 4K 120Hz HDR TV.

i would choose the ultra-wide for gaming any day. it's much more immersive with a much broader field of view.
plus for decent 4K game settings and fps it takes a quite a bit more powerful system.
i would never go back to 16:9 for my main gaming display after using ultra-wide.

Reactions: MarsColonist
Solution
Apr 1, 2021
Coming from a 4K display and moves to a 1440p ultrawide display. Definitely go for the ultrawide. In terms of pixel density, its definitely noticeable but the ultrawide screen gives you so much more fov .

Reactions: MarsColonist

MarsColonist

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
I'm surprised to hear nobody advocates for 4K. Not having played either, I would have guessed 4K would be the better of the two. When I read through video gaming benchmarks and reports, people typically talk about 1080p, 1440p, and 4K. 3440x1440 ultrawide is seldom mentioned.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Because 4k is Royalty. Unless you are using a 3080 class or better type gpu, you aren't going to get any higher fps values on screen. Which means first person shooters, high fps games like BF5 or CSGO or Valorant etc will look fantastic, but you'll spend half your game dead.

4k is best left to immersion games like Skyrim or Witcher 3 or Assassins Creed type games where a great picture is all centered around you and you really aren't too worried about getting sniped from the side.

1440p can be dealt with by lesser gpus, but there's a reason why pros prefer low detail, low latency, low lag, high fps monitors.

To get 4k actually playing decent as well as looking decent will cost you 3 arms and 4 legs.....

Reactions: Krotow

MarsColonist

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
"4k is best left to immersion games like Skyrim or Witcher 3 or Assassins Creed type games where a great picture is all centered around you and you really aren't too worried about getting sniped from the side. "

Oh yeah I love immersive. Like story single player games basically? But I thought people were telling me ultrawide is better for immersion because it kinda surrounds you with the curved display.

Not really into the competitive multiplayer games you speak of where people want low detail and high fps.

They are right about lower resolution preference in decent fast pacing games. To keep up with such performance in 4K you must have top end CPU and at least RTX 3800 / RX 6800 and above GPU.

1440p will allow to lower hardware bar and use more affordable hardware. With obvious drawback for 32"+ screens though - very visible pixels.

Sit further away. There's a definite point at where the edges of the pixels blur and your eyes can no longer differentiate individual pixels.

That's why it's best to view big screen Tv's from a distance.

May be not comfortable when one want to use same monitor for both work and gaming. I made a tradeoff here with 27" 1400p monitor 50-70 cm from my face.

Last edited: