4l not working after reboot

Every time I reboot my computer (XP professional), it will not send print jobs to my Laserjet 4L. The "data" light flashes briefly, but nothing happens. To get the thing to work, I have to go into the 'device manager' and in the port settings tab for LPT1 change a setting (any setting!)--for example, from 'never use an interrupt' to 'try not to use an interrupt', or visa versa, and then it works fine. Until I have to reboot for some reason. Then I am back to square one.

I don't know enough about the port settings to know what they mean, but it doesn't seem to matter how they are set, as long as I change them after a reboot, the computer recognizes the 4L and sends print jobs to it.

Any idea why XP pro won't recognize the 4L permanently?

Try changing the LPT port setting in the BIOS to EPP.
www.coribright.com

"mscottcriss" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Every time I reboot my computer (XP professional), it will not send print
jobs to my Laserjet 4L. The "data" light flashes briefly, but nothing
happens. To get the thing to work, I have to go into the 'device manager'
and in the port settings tab for LPT1 change a setting (any setting!)--for
example, from 'never use an interrupt' to 'try not to use an interrupt', or
visa versa, and then it works fine. Until I have to reboot for some reason.
Then I am back to square one.

> I don't know enough about the port settings to know what they mean, but it
doesn't seem to matter how they are set, as long as I change them after a
reboot, the computer recognizes the 4L and sends print jobs to it.

> Any idea why XP pro won't recognize the 4L permanently?

Scott

And how do I do that?

- msc