4pin 12v extension cable burned.

Naitsirk

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Hi all,

My monitor keyboard mouse and audio went out suddenly but the Unit is still on.

I checked everything then I found out that the extension cable for the 4pin 12v has burnt. I tried removing it and connecting the psu cable to the 4pin 12v slot to the motherboard but it wont still boot.

Does this mean I have to buy a new Motherboard or return my PSU?

specs:
asus a68hmk
amd a10-7850k
rx470
thermaltake smart se 630w

thanks for the response

Solution
If it's burned stop attempting to boot the system.

Something is seriously wrong!

Chances are if it's gotten to the point where the connector is burnt both the Power Supply, Motherboard and everything on it are now more than likely dead.

Change the power supply and re-test. Chances are you will need a new motherboard though.

If the CPU and RAM still work you would be very lucky.
If it's burned stop attempting to boot the system.

Something is seriously wrong!

Chances are if it's gotten to the point where the connector is burnt both the Power Supply, Motherboard and everything on it are now more than likely dead.

Change the power supply and re-test. Chances are you will need a new motherboard though.

If the CPU and RAM still work you would be very lucky.

Solution

Naitsirk

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016

the 4pin 12v for the cpu.

Feb 18, 2019
the extension cable for the 4 pin 12v burned. its a cheap one that I got from ebay sooo.. yeah. its fine now and wont use an extension cable again.

Hello mate, unfortunately I had the same issue. I bought cpu power extension and right when i boot my pc up I could smell plastic burning. I tried tracking the smell which at first I thought it was the processor. I powered it on once the computer booted up and I started seeing smoke coming out. The connector set on flames and I immediately unplugged the power cord. I would like to ask how you solved it. My connector was cheap for around £2 on ebay and I just want to know if you bought a new one if so, could you link it please. Thank you in advance.

TRENDING THREADS