4pin PCIe can't go in 1060

Meme Machine

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
So I've just bought my new Zotac GTX 1060 6GB, and upon installing it, I realize my power supply can't connect to the card. This wasn't a problem on my last card (EVGA GTX 750 TI) I guess because there wasn't even anything to plug in to. Normally, my cable is actually plugged into my motherboard, so I'm not sure exactly what it does honestly. The cable has 4 pins, and the graphics card has six. Am I looking at the wrong cable, is there an adapter, or is this just plainly not compatible?

Solution
Your motherboard needs the 4pin connector. If there isn't a 6 pin PCIe power cable on your power supply, then you probably need a new power supply.
What make and model is the power supply?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

wrong cable, the 4-pin goes to the motherboard

if your power supply does not have the proper 6-pin pcie cable you need to buy a new power supply that does

pcie6index.jpg

As long as you're running two separate 4 pin connectors (as opposed to one lead from the PSU that splits into two 4 pin connectors) it's not a big deal. Using an adapter to go from a 6 to an 8 is usually the one that comes back to bite you, since it can expect to draw up to 150 watts on the same wiring meant for 75.

Susquehannock

Honorable
Wattage is not the issue since both 6 and 8 pin PCIe have three 12v connectors, and three dedicated grounds. Difference is the two extra sense pins, and whether the card requires them for enhanced voltage regulation.

I always assumed it was the extra current. I knew it caused problems but never really looked into it before. That's good to know, inspired me to go do some reading on the subject. Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan

Wattage may not be an issue in this case, but it can be. See the pin-outs of 6 and 8 pin connections -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#Power The 6 pin has TWO 12VDC lines and the 8 pin has THREE. Your statements are not correct.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

if a power supply does not come with a 6-pin then its either a chinese knockoff or a very old unit

either way, not a smart idea to use adapters because you are loading the unit in a way that it was not designed to handle

pop goes the weasel

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017

I've used system with these adapters quit a few times, it's definitely not ideal but if on a budget then it's not a huge deal. If he was building something more mission critical than a gaming machine I'd be right there with you, but I've seen this type of setup work many times without any "popped weasels".

If he had more power hungry hardware I'd also agree with you, but a 350W power supply would probably be enough for his 1060 if he doesn't overclock. Hell my 1070 and i7-3770 don't pull over 250W running Furmark and Prime95 simultaneously.