Question 4TB 3.5" HDD, which one should I choose?

Scary_crow

Honorable
Nov 6, 2015
I am current looking for a new 4TB 3.5” HDD. I quite like the old days Hitachi, which was why I got my last 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300, which I heard is basically a re-brand of a Hitachi hard drive. Based on my local price, I have come down to the following 6 choices:

Western Digital WD40EJRX 4TB
Seagate ST4000DM004
Seagate ST4000VX007
TOSHIBA MD04ABA400V
Western Digital WD40EZRZ
TOSHIBA MD04ACA400

They are all priced very similarly (all roughly USD85), with maybe a difference of USD7 between the cheapest and the most expensive. All of them seems to be 5400rmp except the Toshiba MD04ACA400, (I thought most HDD these days would be 7200rpm lol). Though the MD04ABA400V is the only 1 that got 128MB buffer.

Out of this list, which one do you recommend? Are there any other recommendations? I will be using this in my desktop to mainly store and view photos and videos, and maybe occasionally run some games on it (though I am not a heavy gamer).

Many thanks in advance :)

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If the HDD would apart from archiving and media be used for (light) gaming I'd suggest you get a 7200 RPM drive. That means faster launch and level load times even if it means you get a 2TB drive. If sheer size/volume is a factor here go for 4TB.

The buffer size wouldn't really matter that much except a bit faster burst read speeds and not sustained read speeds as much. Which would also improve game launch and load times a little.

I'd say get the one with best/longest warranty plan.

TRENDING THREADS