Question 4TB drive showing as 2048GB. So far no go changing it to 4TB

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Hi,
I have a 4TB drive which shows as 4TB by Crystal.
In Disk Mgmt it only shows at NTFS GPT but 2048GB unallocated.
In Partition Wizard shows the same. When I go to resize it only allows to get smaller.
How can I fix to 4TB please.
Ultimate partition s for the drive is 2 x 1TB and 1 x 2TB
Thank you
oz

Your motherboard would probably have a discrete hardware monitor IC. This IC senses and controls the fans, and it also senses the temperatures and supply voltages. It could be that this IC is not working. Can you see the supply voltages and fan RPM when you go into BIOS setup?

Reactions: ozrock

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Your motherboard would probably have a discrete hardware monitor IC. This IC senses and controls the fans, and it also senses the temperatures and supply voltages. It could be that this IC is not working. Can you see the supply voltages and fan RPM when you go into BIOS setup?
Thank you so much for the reply.
Unfortunately no specs show up in my A18 Bios. Is there a 3rd party script which will show the info?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
MBR has a maximum drive size of 2.2Tb. To get the full 4Tb will require changing that to GPT. MBR won't recognise anything larger than 2.2Tb, so won't allow partition of the extra space as it's still the same physical drive.

Be careful with fans on Dell mobo's. Several models are fan specific, the wiring order is different. A standard pwm is ground-12v-rpm-pwm. Dell often uses pwm-ground-12v-rpm.
You can adapter that or just repin the fan pins in the connector.

You have to check with either the mobo print or an original fan to see whats what. This is a mobo pinout issue, so applies to Anything plugged into it, be it pump or aio reader or fan.

Last edited:
Those hardware monitor programs need to be "trained" to correctly recognise your motherboard's sensors. That's why I was hoping that your BIOS might have some relevant info. All that these chips can do is to report what voltages and frequencies they see on their inputs. It is up to the motherboard designer to decide which input connects to which voltage, and which inputs connect to each fan and temperature sensor. Moreover, since these chips typically have an input range of 0V to 4.096V, larger external voltages (eg 5V and 12V) need to be scaled down using resistive dividers. These scale factors vary between motherboards.

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
In case someone in the future has a similar problem adding more drives to the T3600 with Win 10 , here are the specs for the Storage Controller Driver that worked for me in the T3600 and maybe the trial of Driver Easy will work to get it installed if you couldn't find it anywhere else.

Intel version 4.3.0.1198 C600 Chipset SAS RAID (SATA) 21/5/2015
The AHCI one is
Intel version 13.1.0.1058 2/5/2014

Good luck !

Last edited: