Question 4TB drive showing as 2048GB. So far no go changing it to 4TB

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Hi,
I have a 4TB drive which shows as 4TB by Crystal.
In Disk Mgmt it only shows at NTFS GPT but 2048GB unallocated.
In Partition Wizard shows the same. When I go to resize it only allows to get smaller.
How can I fix to 4TB please.
Ultimate partition s for the drive is 2 x 1TB and 1 x 2TB
Thank you
oz

Disk Mangement shows a 2 and a 2 in the lower section, but top section differs, with a RAW section. That RAW section may be a lost partition of unknown size.

Hard Disk Sentinel shows as 4 and a 2. You have apparently highlighted the 4 TB and it shows no errors. Can you take another pic in Hard Disk Sentinel with the smaller 2 TB highlighted to see if it may have errors?

Are you sure there is nothing scrolling farther down in Disk Management for maybe a Disk 2 or anything indicating 4 TB?

What drive info and details are revealed in the BIOS?

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
DMDE Parameters
DMDE
DMDE Partitions

Disk Mgmt doesn't show any Format option.

Right Click on Unallocated shows..
New Simple Vol, New Spanned, New Stripped New Mirrored, (Greyed out RAIDF-5) Properties, Help

Right Click on left area. Same as above plus Convert to Dyn, Convert to MBR Offline, Properties Help.

No format.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
DMDE Parameters
DMDE
DMDE Partitions

Disk Mgmt doesn't show any Format option.

Right Click on Unallocated shows..
New Simple Vol, New Spanned, New Stripped New Mirrored, (Greyed out RAIDF-5) Properties, Help

Right Click on left area. Same as above plus Convert to Dyn, Convert to MBR Offline, Properties Help.

No format.
New Simple Volume is what you would normally select.

But it should, in theory, be showing as a 4TB Unallocated space.
Not 2.2TB.

What is the detailed history of this 4 TB Red....

Purchased new?

When and from who?

What, if anything, have you tried to put on it since it has been in your possession? Data files only? Windows? Other operating systems? Nothing? Has it ever been scanned for malware or viruses or?

DMDE is telling you that the drive's physical size is only 4294967294 sectors. That's 2.2TB (= 2TiB).

Something has happened to truncate the drive's reported capacity. If the drive is connected to a SAS controller, then perhaps the controller has a 32-bit LBA limit ???

4294967294 = 0xFFFFFFFE <-- that's one less than the largest number that can be represented with 32 bits.

Edit:

Is the SATA controller configured in RAID mode in BIOS?

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Bought from Dcomp .com.au. Bought many of the years from them. No windows, only data. Never scanned.
SAS and AHCI Controllers enabled. Drives connected to HDD0-1
Raid never used on this box for 5 years I've had it.
I have mainly used it via an external Dock box not in the 7500 that it is in now.

Last edited: