Question 4TB fast USB 3.1 SSD needed - reliable and affordable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 8, 2019
Hello all,

I love the SAMSUNG T5 series, but I d need a fast 4TB external portable SSD. Unfortunately, T5 is avail only at 2TB and smaller.
Budget : ~EUR 700 - 800.
I am thinking of a 860PRO 4TB plus USB 3.1 case, but I ve heard that some important commands like TRIM / garbage collection cannot pass the USB - SATA converter chip. Still, a 860 Pro would last a long time even without TRIM in my use case.
In addition, some chips on USB cases reportedly do not support >2TB, right? What a mess!
A good 2TB USB SSD is <400 EUR, while there is only one 4TB SSD (Angelbird) and it is ridiculuously priced.
How can I push SAMSUNG to extend the T5 to 4TB (at maybe double the price of the 2TB T5)?
Since my backup HDDs are 4TB HDD USB drives and I want to backup everything as easy as possible, I cannot live with 2 x 2TB SSDs and having all my data folders distributed over 2 partitions.
Any ideas?

Dec 8, 2019
Thanks for the link. Looks like this product has some heavy customs duty tariff tax and whatnot if I want it shipped to Europe. Not good. But anyway. If that is the solution - why not?

Here are my links (not sure if they work since I copy them from a logged in account):

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00KW4T69A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A5JH7MGCI556L&psc=1

Dec 8, 2019
Even though the Inatek 2010 does not have USB type C (what I am in love with), it still looks great.... until I read that no seller is shipping this to Austria ;-(

This Inatek 2006 brags with the JMS578 supporting TRIM on one of the pictures, if I choose USB A port, but for USB C version, they specify ASM225cm . Is ASM225cm also a good chip? I will mostly use it under WIN 7, WIN 10 and Ubuntu /MINT, maybe Manjaro...

Guess, I ll go with the USB A version plus the 860 PRO, unless the much needed 4TB T5 does not show up within early 2020.....

Dec 8, 2019
I can get the 2010 directly at Inateck in Germany .... no amazon......
.hhmm... they have a 10gbps RAID 0 capable case too... If I buy 2 x 2TB 860PRO instead 1 4TB 860PRO, I could gain read / write speed at the cost of size and weight, right?? Speed is very important whern browsing through many big files in a folder......
In case anything goes wrong with the RAID 0, I d still have my 4 HDDs as a backup....

Dec 8, 2019
Dec 8, 2019
Got 860 EVO 4TB and Inateck FE2010 today. Put everything together. Partitioned in WIN7 as one big NTFS partition, 4K alloc unit size, compression ON . Seemed working.
BUT:

1. SAMSUNG Magician does not work - why? It can read a serial number , but everywhere it says "drive not supported" .
  2. If I test speed, I copy3 big files (total 14GB) from ImDisk RAMDISK (I do have enough RAM to setup a 16 GIG RAM-Disk) to external SSD in USB 3.0 mode, it starts off at about 500MB /s, then drops to about 50 - 80MB/s in steady state. What went wrong? NTFS Compressing isn't the issue, since I can see almost no CPU load (2 x 8 core XEON, total 32 threads) in ressource monitor during writing on SSD.
-->> Copying back the same 3 big files from SSD to RAMDISK goes along at an incredible speed of ~1.1GB/s though the computer only supports USB 3.0 -how can that happen at all? Could that be fake speed due to WIN7 RAM caching ( I have total 64GIGs)?? Will try to reproduce read speed after reboot.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019
I can read at 410MB/s and write at even faster 435 MB/s now on my WIN 10 machine using UASP.
The issue was indeed NTFS compression. It showed medium to low overall CPU load BUT this compression algo cannot work in many threads, so 1 thread was constantly at 100% during writing and therefore slowing evrything down, even though my WIN10 machine has i7-8700K which is quite fast even on single threaded load.
Guess UASP will not work on my WIN7 XEON machine, right?

Dec 8, 2019
The single thread speed situation is even worse with many slow cores such as my old dual XEON machine.
Fewer threads AND way higher clocks are the solution for NTFS compression - quite the opposite what the industry is doing. We need 15GHz single cores!!

TRENDING THREADS