[SOLVED] 4TB SMR for storage and game recordings

Where I live, it's hard to get CMR drives, but I want to know if a SMR drive will be okay for game recordings @1080p 60fps OBS recording CRF/CQP set to around 18? The drive I can get is WD 4TB 5400rpm (WD40EZAZ)

Last edited:
Solution
If all you're doing is just putting game recordings on a drive, you're better off getting either the Blue or the Black WD drives. Just make sure that you're not using the same drive for both recording the game and playing it as it can cause some performance issues during gameplay.

It happened to me once when I was recording and playing on the same drive where I record the footage from so I changed it to a different drive.

ErickParker

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
SMR and CMR technologies have their respective fields of application.
SMR hard disks are not particularly well suited if the hard disk is to be constantly and permanently doing write operations, as this can lead to a cache overflow
For permanent writing activities and the transfer of large amounts of data at high transfer rates, when the speed of large data transfers is important, CMR hard drives are the better choice.
CMR is the correct choice for what you want.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
If all you're doing is just putting game recordings on a drive, you're better off getting either the Blue or the Black WD drives. Just make sure that you're not using the same drive for both recording the game and playing it as it can cause some performance issues during gameplay.

It happened to me once when I was recording and playing on the same drive where I record the footage from so I changed it to a different drive.

Solution