[SOLVED] 4TB Toshia drive at 100% load only when in my new PC

Biff_1

Commendable
May 4, 2017
A bit of a weird one here, I've exhausted everything I could think of trying, hoping someone here has an idea.

The harddrive in question is this one https://www.newegg.ca/toshiba-x300-hdwe150xzsta-5tb/p/N82E16822149628

I recently upgraded my computer, I bought a GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI and put an AMD RYZEN 7 3800X into it, accompanied by a 2x16GB of DDR4 RAM. I also have an Nvidia 1080ti. The system is installed to a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD.

Basically, once I set up my new rig, the harddrive immediately stopped working correctly. It's the drive I use for games, whenever I try to launch a game (Total war: Three kingdoms for instance) It takes about 5-10 minutes to load, and about 15 to load into the benchmark. Videos can play on it decently, but they experience blips.

It sounds like a dying drive, however, I plugged it into my father's computer which is made of all my computer's older parts and it works fine, can launch games on it and they behave as expected, nothing behaves out of the expected behavior.

Steps I took to try and remedy this were few, I can't think of what could cause this. I upgraded the bios of the mobo to the latest firmware, I also downloaded the latest chipset drivers for the mobo, there doesn't appear to be any SATA related drivers that aren't RAID related. I also reinstalled windows for good measure to no discernible changes.

I've tried other SATA ports, all of them do the same thing.

Any ideas of what I should do? I don't know if this board just doesn't play nice with bigger HDDs, however unlikely that seems, I'm scared to buy a new 4TB HDD in case the same thing happens.

The only thing I can think of doing is formatting the drive which I'm reluctant to do because I would have to download 3.5TB of data again, but if this is truly the only thing that may help, I will do it. Just wondering if there's something else I may be missing.

Solution
Attribute C7 (UDMA CRC Error Count) is reporting a huge number of interface errors.

• 0x2B049 = 176,201

This usually points to a problem at the SATA data interface. Often it can be mitigated by forcing the drive to negotiate a slower SATA link speed. Some drives have jumpers for this purpose.

I would monitor this number in your own system and see how it changes with drive activity. Then I would do the same in your father's computer.

Biff_1

Commendable
May 4, 2017
Good idea, while I tried a different SATA cable and SATA port, I didn't try a different power cable, I swapped it with the one powering my SSD and system drive and nothing has changed, would have kicked myself if I overlooked something so simple.

Sorry if this is something obvious I'm not understanding, but what do you mean the power profile?

Biff_1

Commendable
May 4, 2017
Since the drive already has data on, Windows, A/v, chrome, will be scanning the daylights out of it.
You can bring up Resource monitor and the Disk tab will show you whats accessing the drive.

This is a fresh install of windows now so I don't have anything really accessing the drive, when I check resource monitor it says nothing is touching the drive until I open it up and view the files, at that point it does as you'd expect and the files start loading into view.
View: https://i.imgur.com/OXn1BTM.png

At this point, everything seems just fine, however, once I try launching any games off of it, it rockets to 100 percent.
View: https://i.imgur.com/3yotAww.png

It's across all games, just used this one for simplicity sake, and if I try to install things to it via steam, I usually get an error that says the installation couldn't be completed due to I/O issues.

Can you retrieve a SMART report with CrystalDiskInfo? Look for reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors.
It gives me blue across the board
View: https://i.imgur.com/Rmhfvt9.png

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I hope these will inevitably lead me to the solution I'm looking for, my friends say it sounds like the drive is dying, but it's just odd to think that because I left it in my fathers computer for a day and had him play some games off of it for a few hours, and it worked flawlessly like it did before I upgraded my computer, at least I have an excuse to buy an N.2 now...

Attribute C7 (UDMA CRC Error Count) is reporting a huge number of interface errors.

• 0x2B049 = 176,201

This usually points to a problem at the SATA data interface. Often it can be mitigated by forcing the drive to negotiate a slower SATA link speed. Some drives have jumpers for this purpose.

I would monitor this number in your own system and see how it changes with drive activity. Then I would do the same in your father's computer.

Solution