4TB Write Limit with 5TB HDD?

Strythe

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
A few weeks ago my main rig ran into issues while Steam was downloading some updates and kept crashing out. Made the assumption that the 5TB HDD was failing. Not having the time or funds to replace it I simply switched to my other rig which uses the same Toshiba 5TB drive. Last night it hit the same wall.

Both drives have around 4TB of data, all Steam games (I know it's a lot), formatted using GPT. Steam is not able to download updates to either one. I can easily delete games I don't play anymore to free up some space, but what's the point of the 5TB drive if it can't be fully utilized (to 90% formatted capacity).

Both systems are running Windows 10 64-bit Home upgraded from Windows 7 64-bit Home. Both have ASUS UEFI motherboards. One runs an AMD FX-8350 and the other an i7-4770k.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Strythe

Strythe

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
Here's the response from Steam Support:

"Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Please complete the steps below to refresh your configuration files for Steam:

Exit Steam.

For Windows, open the Run command by pressing the Windows Key + R and type steam://flushconfig then press Enter.
For Mac, open the Network window by pressing Command + K and type steam://flushconfig then press Enter.
For Linux, open Terminal and type steam --reset

If prompted by Steam to reset your configuration, please click 'OK' to confirm.

Once done, restart your computer, login to Steam, and re-test the issue.

If you have multiple installation folders for games, doing this process will remove them. You will need to re-add the folders in Steam so that your games will appear as installed.

If the issue persists, make sure your network is optimized for Steam:

Title: Troubleshooting Network Connectivity
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1456-EUDN-2493

Please follow all suggestions in this article, even if your network appears to be functioning correctly."

Performing the flush doesn't seem to have had any negative impact and I am now downloading a rather large stream of updates.