4th gen intel processors problems

Ravikum

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
A friend of mine told me that 3rg gen intel processors are better than 4th gen & 4th gen intel processors are having problems, planning to buy a laptop so guide me on this.

Solution
The so called "issues" with the 4th gen comes after the 4 GHz barrier. Haswell is a great architecture for mobile and stock systems (specially laptops, great battery life, good performance from the IGP, etc).

The thing a lot of us have been complaining is that over 4 GHz the 4th gen starts heating up like mad and is using too much voltage. Sandy Bridge (i.e 2nd generation) has spoiled a lot of the overclockers - some Sandy chips were doing 5.1 GHz on air, and Haswell pretty much tops out at 4.7/4.8 with water cooling. This affects all overclockers, but has completely no relevance to a laptop. Those are not problems - those are by design. Haswell is much more efficient at 3 GHz and down than all other previously released generations...
Since you are using a laptop chip the haswell (4th gen) negatives do not affect you. Haswell had some teething problems with temps early on, and overclocking even now, but that doesn't go into a laptop chip. In fact, Haswells positives (Lower power, better performance) very much overshadow the negatives.

Ravikum

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014

Thanks for the info mate, lets see if anyone has info about issues with 4th gen intel processors

Shneiky

Distinguished
The so called "issues" with the 4th gen comes after the 4 GHz barrier. Haswell is a great architecture for mobile and stock systems (specially laptops, great battery life, good performance from the IGP, etc).

The thing a lot of us have been complaining is that over 4 GHz the 4th gen starts heating up like mad and is using too much voltage. Sandy Bridge (i.e 2nd generation) has spoiled a lot of the overclockers - some Sandy chips were doing 5.1 GHz on air, and Haswell pretty much tops out at 4.7/4.8 with water cooling. This affects all overclockers, but has completely no relevance to a laptop. Those are not problems - those are by design. Haswell is much more efficient at 3 GHz and down than all other previously released generations. At 4.5 GHz Haswell draws more power then even Sandy (2nd gen). And 4.5 will never occur in a laptop. (at least not in the next 10 years, with some new super alloys and materials inside the CPU instead of Copper and Silicon)

Haswell architecture was created with mobile in mind (like laptops) and it will be stupid to go with a 3rd gen inside a laptop. Sure, on the desktop and with overclocking they can be pretty much equal - but not in a laptop.

Solution