[SOLVED] 4th memory slot isn't working

mightyfishyy

Commendable
Sep 7, 2018
After I did a cooler replacement (CPU came off with cooler) I may have broken my CPU a bit which may have caused this problem. My ram works in slots 1 and 2 but doesn't work in the fourth slot, which is the correct one. I just want to confirm if a bad CPU can disable memory slots, and if a CPU replacement can fix this issue.

Solution
Yes, a damaged CPU or motherboard pin bed can affect memory function and performance.

Make sure there are no bent pins on the CPU or the CPU socket, depending on if it's AMD or Intel, and that when you reinstalled the CPU cooler that you tightened it down EVENLY all the way around or side to side, depending on what you have. Which, by the way, it would be helpful to know. Full hardware specs is usually something we like to see from the start.

So what are your FULL hardware specifications including CPU model, motherboard, CPU cooler model, memory kit model, etc.?
Yes, a damaged CPU or motherboard pin bed can affect memory function and performance.

Make sure there are no bent pins on the CPU or the CPU socket, depending on if it's AMD or Intel, and that when you reinstalled the CPU cooler that you tightened it down EVENLY all the way around or side to side, depending on what you have. Which, by the way, it would be helpful to know. Full hardware specs is usually something we like to see from the start.

So what are your FULL hardware specifications including CPU model, motherboard, CPU cooler model, memory kit model, etc.?

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

TRENDING THREADS