4x 256GB SSD in Raid 0 or 1x 1TB SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry_The_Great

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Hello everyone,

I am looking to upgrade the storage on my PC but I am unaware of what would be the best option. I currently have a hackintosh with a 256GB samsung 840 evo and a 2TB Hard drive both running together as a Fusion Drive. My motherboard is the Gigabyte Z87-UD5H. I want to move away from the Hard drive completely in order to increase speed. I have looked at many storage options including PCIE based SSD's and also Ram Disk's however both options are pretty expensive at the moment. So I have assumed that my best options are 4x 256GB SSD in Raid 0 or 1TB SSD. If I was to go with the 4 SSD's in raid 0 I would probably buy 3 more 840 evo's and use them in the array. I have a few questions about these options.

1. Would the motherboard be capable of obtaining the theoretical speeds of the raid array? I have heard that you can get over 1.5GB/s read and write with 4x SSD in raid 0 but I'm not sure if this is just theoretical or is the actual speed.
2. How safe is 4x 256GB SSD in raid 0? I would probably use my hard drive that I have at the moment to back up to if I did go with the raid array.
3. Is the raid 0 array worth it? Or are there better options?

Thank you everyone for reading this I would really appreciate it if you could reply.

YolowskiSwagins

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
Its worth, because u are not connecting 4 ssd-s into a single sata 3 but into 4 separate ones, so that means 4x6Gbps, not 1x6Gbps.(raid 0 splits the files into 4 parts if u use 4 ssd-s).4 ssd-s in raid will be just as safe as 1 ssd without raid.
Overall, the speed should be much better, with no particular downsides, other than slightly less space in your rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.