as i plan to overclock to 4MHZ

Having to Use vista 64
As 32 vertion will not read the Extra memory

Your opinion please

Michel

chjade84

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
I would really doubt you will notice anything. I have yet to get windows to use any more than 3 GB no mater what I do. I use Photoshop (along with several other programs at the same time) at work on 4 GB and I still have yet to come close to running out of RAM.

That's just me though. I also have an E8500 OC'd to 4 Ghz. I'd watch your memory usage while you do your most intense work and see if you even come close to the 4 GB you have now. If you don't, it's not worth the money to upgrade it, IMO.

camymic

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Thank You " chjade84"
Are you Using 32bit system?

I Have not started the Build
But i have a dilemma....

Should i install Vista 64bit and double the ram from 4 to 8gb
and run Photoshop and games making full use of the Ram and possibly see some Real bust....

or stick to 32bit version of Vista with 4gb ram

The main goal is to Have a PC going for 2 to 3 years on acceptable performances down the road

I have now vista 32bit with AMD running at 2.2mhz with 2gb ram
still ok but starting to find a bit slow with CS4 and Game.....(I will need a new Graphic card any way)

Than you in advance for a reply

chjade84

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
I would go with 64 bit (that is what I use; XP x64 at work and Vista Ultimate x64 at home) because in reality you will only get 3-3.5 GB of RAM in 32 bit OS's because of memory addressing.

Personally I would just get the 4 GB to begin with and see if you even use all of that. Perhaps spend some more money on faster speed and low timings than just raw space. Then again I'm not sure you will notice much difference no matter what you buy, provided it is of decent quality.

If you need to buy a new graphics card I would get 4GB and put the other ~$80 into the graphics card. Again, depending on what you actually use the computer for (gaming and moderate Photoshop/rendering) I really doubt you will see any performance increase in 4 to 8 GB. If you are doing some serious stuff in Photoshop the 8 GB may not be a bad idea.

You can always add RAM later if you decide 4 just isn't cutting it.

camymic

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Again Thank you "chjade84"

As you suggest i will go for 4GB ram
as I am a Moderate User of Photoshop and play games on occasions

As for Vista 64.. Did you Have Problems with installing Drivers?
does all Programs run on the 64bit system?

What are the positive differences you would see on a day to day use
compare to a 32bit Vista?

I am now using Vista Ultimate 32 and have no problems
But ready to make the Jump, if it the Direction to take for the Next 2 to 3 years
It's a pain to reinstall all programs so i want to do it once

Thank you again....

(sorry for late reply as i live on the other side of world in Malaysia)

chjade84

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
There are still a small number of issues with 64 bit OS'es. Lots of older hardware (4+ years) is not supported (no drivers) and some software will not run on 64 bit.

However, 64 bit is faster and will be replacing 32 bit someday, hopefully soon. I would love to see programs only available in 64 bit. The most important thing, however, is the support for more RAM.

I guess it's up to you to decide as either would most likely be ok for you. Just depends on whether or not you are willing to give up some functionality for speed.

Good Luck!

camymic

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

Thank you "chjade84"

I will go for it
and anticipate having to change an old scaner....
let's cross fingers

+++