4x 2TB hard drives in RAID 5 with OS

xxdejavuxx

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Hi guys,

Im trying to configure a server with 4x 2tb hdds in raid 5 with OS installed in the RAID array. In windows server 2012 it shows 2TB only. I heard its a windows limitation and that theres a way around it?

Please advise.
Thank you.

The partitions must be created as GPT partitions, not MBR partitions for drives over 2TB. Also, Your motherboard should be UEFI if you plan on booting from it. I believe this is the same for server 2012.

Q. Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

A. Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx

ksrossmoor

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
There is. I'd start fresh on the RAID 5 setup. Delete it, and make a new one. Go back into your BIOS and enable the UEFI Driver instead of Lagacy ROM. Start your install. Load the RAID driver, then Shift + F10.

Type:
diskpart
list disk
Select disk 0 (Assuming that' the only option for your RAID 5)
Clean
convert GPT
Exit
Exit

From there you should be able to do your install and have about 5.5 TB of usable space.

The UEFI Driver in the BIOS was my major holdup. I did this same install over 20 times until I got it right.