4x or 8x AGP

dtp

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2001
I have been looking to upgrade my graphics card from a 32mb PCI card to either a 64 or 128mb AGP card Im not really into the games a whole lot but have been thinking about getting into video editing also do alot of work with adobe programs the system Im putting it in has a AMD 1700 cpu with 512 megs of ram the card thats in it now seems to do a pretty good job with the games I do play which are to few to mention right know, but I have another system with a 64mb GeForce4 MX card with TV out on it and when I hook my TV up to it with the S Video cord the picture on the monitor is in black and white not color,well what Im looking for in this new card is one that works well when hooking up to my TV,also the motherboard I will be installing this card on only has a 4x AGP slot and alot of the cards I have been looking at is 8X AGP my next ? is will a 8X card play in a 4X AGP, and if so will it loose some of its power (I plan on upgrading the motherboard someday and would like to get the 8X card now so I wont be out looking for another card in 6 months. Thanks in advance for all replys.

REDmosquito

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
I have an 8X agp radeon running in a 4x slot, they are totally compatible as far as i know. Mine works just fine and the benchmarks i have seen comparing the 2 bus speeds are not much different. I believe the 8x thing is somewhat of a marketing ploy and right now anyway it doesnt seem to make much difference.

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/triumph_mod" target="_new">The Game Club</A> <font color=red>is a hangout for gamers who play multiple titles and want a lenient community to discuss whatevers on their mind</font color=red>

dtp

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2001
Thanks for the input how does it work on the TV out part and what model Radeon are you using? Thanks

REDmosquito

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
Its ati made R9600 128meg non pro. To be honest I have never tried hooking it up to a TV so I have no clue how well that works. Overall its a good card I find the direct3d apps run better than openGL though. The latest drivers fixed some texturing problems i had with some Ogl games but I still think my geforce3ti500 ran openGL more smoothly than the 9600.

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/triumph_mod" target="_new">The Game Club</A> <font color=red>is a hangout for gamers who play multiple titles and want a lenient community to discuss whatevers on their mind</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All current AGP8x cards run perfectly on AGP4x boards with no performance loss.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Ive personally got a Whopping great R9800pro 8X card running in a 4X slot with absolutely no problems and full kickas performance.

8X at present is like ata133 or 256Mb graphics cards. A marketing gimmic. (or a chance to charge more)

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

dtp

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2001
Thanks for the reply it helps me quit a bit I will for sure go with an 8X card, do you have any preference between ATI and Nvidia I have always went with Nvidia but have seensome bad reviews on there latest drivers,also is there much difference in the 128 and 256mb cards?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There's a small improvement going from 64MB to 128MB, so the improvement from 128 to 256MB is nearly immesurable.

ATI is showing the best DirectX 9 support.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dtp

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2001
Thanks alot for the information as I told Crashman it will help me alot when buying the card. At least now I wont have to worry about gettting an 8X home just to find out it doesnt work, also I just thought of this (if its possible at all) should I uninstall my old drivers to my old card before installing the new card?

dtp

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2001
Thanks again that information will save me some money on the purchase.....do you have any feed back on the Nividia personal cinema that comes with the Geforce FX based graphics cards (I have been looking on the net (Newegg)and in all there adds it doesnt mention anything about the personal cinema maybe they just dont bundle it with there cards and I will have to look else where.Any ideas on another place to look?

cleeve

Illustrious
Ati's all in wonder cards are immeasurably better than Nvidia's personal cinema.

Check the web for reviews. The all in wonder cards always beat the snot out of them by a wide margin.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (hardmodded to PRO, o/c to 322/322)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (o/c to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
3dMark03: 4055