4x space game

Apparently "Space Empires V" has entered beta testing. I didnt get in :(

The screen shots look great. www.malfador.com

It beat Dominions 3 into beta but probably not by much. I hope they dont
come out at the same time or I will be torn.

Gandalf Parker
-- needed: a Mech Warrior artist

Dom 3 just needs some spit and polish, SEV needs art direction,
interface redesign, a balanced tech tree (meeting up with a psionic
race mid to late game = automatic loss in SEIV), better race design,
and a major tactical battle engine overhaul. I've actually played
several games of DOM 2 multiplayer, I wouldn't dream of it with SEIV,
not with stuff like Ultracorps around. SEV for me is going to get
serious competition from Ultracorps and, yes, Twilight Imperium 3rd
edition.

I've always questioned why people like beta testing. It's not a paying
position, but far too much like a job.

lm

It did not have the polish of evernight, but it was fun. Steve Jackson
bought UC and is redeveloping it. Again, when you have turn based
games that have a tick based system, they actually get played. No one
has time to play HOMM or CIV on anything but the smallest map. There's
just too much turn angst. With Dominions 2 and UC, you submit your
turn and there's a non varying amount of time before the next turn
starts. It's not the amount of time between turns, it's the variance
that makes games like CIV 3 unplayable multiplayer.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-04-12, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:

> I've always questioned why people like beta testing. It's not a paying
> position, but far too much like a job.

You get in a position to influence the development of a game.

littlemute wrote:
<snip>
> SEV for me is going to get
> serious competition from Ultracorps and, yes, Twilight Imperium 3rd
> edition.

Those aren't even real games. They are online browser games.

"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in

> SEV for me is going to get
> serious competition from Ultracorps and, yes, Twilight Imperium 3rd
> edition.

Thanks, I will look into those.

> I've always questioned why people like beta testing. It's not a paying
> position, but far too much like a job.

Well some people just consider it fun to give their opinion. :)

In my case I would have loved to get in on the ground floor with some
ideas. I love the direction SEIV took with player modding. Im really hoping
the SEV added or left that the same, not messed it up. The game, as
installed, feels really tiny compared to what the mods made it. It went
from 8 races on a small map to a game where everything about it was
increased literally by hundred times over.

Gandalf Parker

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-04-12, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
> It did not have the polish of evernight, but it was fun. Steve Jackson
> bought UC and is redeveloping it. Again, when you have turn based
> games that have a tick based system, they actually get played. No one
> has time to play HOMM or CIV on anything but the smallest map. There's
> just too much turn angst. With Dominions 2 and UC, you submit your
> turn and there's a non varying amount of time before the next turn
> starts. It's not the amount of time between turns, it's the variance
> that makes games like CIV 3 unplayable multiplayer.

IMHO I much prefer Civ3 single player to any turn based
multiplayer game. The original Civ had quite a bit of
roleplaying involved. When you researched a new tech you would be
greeted by a pretty portrait. It felt more like you were leading
civilization than playing a spreadsheet.

This isn't the case with Civ3 where all you see is a bunch of
icons. I don't doubt though, for a minute, that the spreadsheet
crowd made Civ3 a real winner. Evidence of this is in how
unbearably hard the game is in Civ3: Conquests when you play at
Regent level.

I avoided Dom and Dom2 because I hear it's a great multiplayer
game but not a good single player game.

dweeb

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004

Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in

> Apparently "Space Empires V" has entered beta testing. I didnt get in :(
>
> The screen shots look great. www.malfador.com

I'm one of the few who actually played SE II. It was actually kinda fun but
I would never have dreamed it would actually go this far.

dweeb

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004

"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in

> littlemute wrote:
> <snip>
>> SEV for me is going to get
>> serious competition from Ultracorps and, yes, Twilight Imperium 3rd
>> edition.
>
> Those aren't even real games. They are online browser games.

TI 3 comes in a box. It is a real game. No PC required!

With the end game of DOM2, you are still spacing out the turns, say one
per day and people have been eliminated. This is not the
arse-wrenching LAN Civ/MOO/AoW games that go until 5-6AM (with the
obligatory hour long arguments about the initial set up) but are
absolutely over the minute everyone goes home. Sure the game is saved,
but it's never played again and is deleted with a hard drive
reformating untouched years later. Dom2 and similar games are more
organic in that the turn time can accomodate real life a lot more.
Micromanagement gets insane at the end with all these games, but with
Civ style it's all at a single sitting, and with the tick based games
it's a lot of sittings over the course of months..

"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
> It did not have the polish of evernight, but it was fun. Steve Jackson
> bought UC and is redeveloping it. Again, when you have turn based
> games that have a tick based system, they actually get played. No one
> has time to play HOMM or CIV on anything but the smallest map. There's
> just too much turn angst. With Dominions 2 and UC, you submit your
> turn and there's a non varying amount of time before the next turn
> starts. It's not the amount of time between turns, it's the variance
> that makes games like CIV 3 unplayable multiplayer.

Actually most Dominions2 games I've encountered have a varying amount of
time between turns. I know there's an option to host at fixed times, it's
just not used in the community I play in. As to not having time to play civ
but having time to play the end game of Dominions2.....Well, that sounds a
bit backwords to me.

Frankly the best multiplayer 4x was probably Stardock's Entrepreneur, but
then it wasn't turn based...which may have something to do with why it was
the best multiplayer 4x.

dfs

"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
> I avoided Dom and Dom2 because I hear it's a great multiplayer
> game but not a good single player game.

Dominions is better as a multiplayer game, but it's certainly still playable
as a single player game.

Good to see you're still kicking round. It's been a while.

dfs

"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in news:115oaiv5jfbqn35
@news.supernews.com:

> littlemute wrote:
> <snip>
>> SEV for me is going to get
>> serious competition from Ultracorps and, yes, Twilight Imperium 3rd
>> edition.
>
> Those aren't even real games. They are online browser games.

Thanks for that post. Im not ready to get excited about online browser
games.

I recently pulled out of a beta test because it sounded real good but it
turned out to be a browser game that they wanted to sell.

Gandalf Parker

"Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
> "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in news:115oaiv5jfbqn35
> > littlemute wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> SEV for me is going to get
> >> serious competition from Ultracorps and, yes, Twilight Imperium 3rd
> >> edition.
> >
> > Those aren't even real games. They are online browser games.
>
> Thanks for that post. Im not ready to get excited about online browser
> games.
>
> I recently pulled out of a beta test because it sounded real good but it
> turned out to be a browser game that they wanted to sell.

Ultracorps is ancient. Like the same age as moo2. I remember thinking it was
a mess then.

dfs

Dweeb <dbohnenberger@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in
>
>> Apparently "Space Empires V" has entered beta testing. I didnt get in
>> :(
>>
>> The screen shots look great. www.malfador.com
>
> I'm one of the few who actually played SE II. It was actually kinda
> fun but I would never have dreamed it would actually go this far.

SE IV is alive and well on my after over a year of play. The players mods
have super increased the maps and added over a hundred races.

So Im just abit torn about SE V. Yes I would like to see the basic game
engine and user interface get an upgrade. But Im hoping that nothing is
done to stop the players from doing for it what they did for SE IV.

Gandalf Parker

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:40:07 GMT, Gandalf Parker
<gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrotC:DRIVE_E

> It went
>from 8 races on a small map to a game where everything about it was
>increased literally by hundred times over.

What mods do you recommend for this expanded experience?

Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com

shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:
> On 2005-04-12, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
>
>> I've always questioned why people like beta testing. It's not a paying
>> position, but far too much like a job.
>
> You get in a position to influence the development of a game.

And I think for a lot of people it's mostly a chance to play a new
game without having to pay for it. But those are usually not the best
testers.

mcv.

Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:40:07 GMT, Gandalf Parker
> <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrotC:DRIVE_E
>
>> It went
>>from 8 races on a small map to a game where everything about it was
>>increased literally by hundred times over.
>
> What mods do you recommend for this expanded experience?

Fryons Quadrant Map mod, the TDM mod, the DevNull mod.
Definetly check into the forum at www.shrapnelgames.com and the players
will hook you up (the dev no longer visits there I think)

Gandalf Parker

try http://www.spacefederation.net for a 4x strategy game

Cowly the Game player

Please click on my links