4x Xeon E7-4870 vs 2x E5-2690 vs i7-4700K

LordLuciendar

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
I'm curious if there are any benchmarks out there or stats that could be pulled to compare these processors. It's a bit difficult considering that the Xeon E7s are very enterprise focused and not readily available, but I'd love to see some real metric based comparison.

I have three potential options for acquiring new hardware:

An HP DL580 G7 with 4 Xeon E7-4870 Processors for a total of 40 cores (10 2.4GHz cores each with hyperthreading and 2.8GHz turbo) and 1024GB of DDR3 1600MHz (Registered, 64x16GB RDIMM).

An HP DL360 G8 with 2 Xeon E5-2690 Processors for a total of 16 cores (8 2.9GHz cores each with hyperthreading and 3.9GHz turbo) and 256GB of DDR3 1600MHz (16x16GB RDIMM)

Replace some components in an existing system and upgrade to an i7-7700K (4 4.2GHz cores, 4.5GHz turbo) and 64GB of DDR4 2666 (4x16GB UDIMM)

I'm wondering if in terms of oomph I'll be better served by the older cores but vastly higher core count and memory of the DL580, and how much I'll suffer in terms of additional latency. Of course it has only PCIe 2.0 (6 x16 slots), so limiting graphics performance will be a concern. I wonder if latency will be a significant issue with the 4 socket bus and 64 DIMMs of memory.

Ideally I'd just get one of each of the above... the DL580 for virtualization the DL360 for running the network and running file sharing and the Kaby Lake setup for my workstation... but 64GB of RAM just isn't enough and I can't afford to upgrade everything all at once. Maybe I should consider the x299/10 core i9/128GB of RAM setup...

Solution
if you intend to run many operational virtual machines, the actual servers with lots of cores and RAM will be nice....

If just running 2-4 VMs at a time for traininng/certification and home lab purposes, then perhaps a system with fewer cores could be put to work... (The Z270/7700K only supports 64 GB of RAM max, by the way)

you can compare many assorted servers in assorted metrics at www.servethehome.com

Additionally, there is a vast database of user questions pertaining to server selection, deployment planning for assorted roles and VM methods, hosting, etc., answered by long term virtualization veterans over at https://community.spiceworks.com/start
if you intend to run many operational virtual machines, the actual servers with lots of cores and RAM will be nice....

If just running 2-4 VMs at a time for traininng/certification and home lab purposes, then perhaps a system with fewer cores could be put to work... (The Z270/7700K only supports 64 GB of RAM max, by the way)

you can compare many assorted servers in assorted metrics at www.servethehome.com

Additionally, there is a vast database of user questions pertaining to server selection, deployment planning for assorted roles and VM methods, hosting, etc., answered by long term virtualization veterans over at https://community.spiceworks.com/start

Solution