Question 4x4GB + 2x8GB will it work properly?

Mar 21, 2019
Hi folks!
I have X99A Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard and currently installed 4 x 4GB RAM Kingston Predator 2400Mhz DDR4.
I would like to add another 16GB RAM but prices for 4x4 are crazy and it's difficult to find it, so I'm thinking of adding 2x8GB Kingston Predator 3200Mhz DDR4.

Would it work properly? I don't know how this "quad channel" works but everybody says it is better than dual channel. If I add 2x8GB modules will I switch to dual channel or I will be fine?

Also, I can buy additional 2x4GB 3000Mhz, will it work properly? I would have 24GB together and 2 out of 8 slots free.

My CPU is 5820k @ 4.2GHZ, GPU AMD R9 390X and I'm using this rig to edit videos in Sony Vegas.

Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
Well the channels look like this and might give you an idea how to install the rest of 2x8GB of ram.
Personally when I've added 2x2GB on top of my 2x8GB I've had no issues except it was runnig on lowest ram speed (eg. 2x2 was 1600, 2x8 was 1866 and was running 1600 on all).
But take as grain of salt, as others say it will works, but some deny with that "Manufacturers suggest always same kit.
overview-n1.jpg

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantees to be compatible together. If you want to play around with the BIOS settings, you might get them working together.

Workarounds to get extra memory to work include:
Lower memory clock speed
Relax DRAM timings
Increase DRAM voltage