[SOLVED] 4x4Gb 3000Mhz RAM not POSTing anything above 2133mhz

Jun 12, 2019
Motherboard: Asus B450 TUF
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
PSU: Corsair CX750
RAM: Team Vulcan 4x4Gb 3000mhz

I've been running 2x4Gb Team Vulcan RAM in A2/B2 slots using the DOCP profile it works fine. I've just picked up another 2x4Gb kit of the exact same sticks and put then in A1/ B1 slots and now my pc wont post anything over 2133mhz which is the default for DDR4 RAM. I have tried the two pairs of sticks seperately in A1/B1 (which neither of them can get 3000mhz, only up to 2733 i believe) and both of them work at the rated speed in A2/B2.
I've tried manually setting the profile and raising the DRAM Voltage to no avail
The BIOS was saying:
A1 : 2400mhz
A2: 2133mhz
B1: 2133mhz
B2: 2400mhz
However the cmd in my pc (wmic memorychip get speed) states them all at 2133mhz
For reference^ i had my few month old sticks in A1/B2 slots however i didnt think it would make a difference considering they are all the exact same stick
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Solution
Update: Have just found according the QVL list on the ASUS website that this motherboard is very selective on what modules can run at a decent speed with 4 dimms installed

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Just a note of caution that may be contributing to the problem you have described:

Mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed to work together - the only way even the same models are guaranteed to work together is if they are in the same pack, worst case if they are the same date code. Basically the manufacturing process changes a lot and frequently, so a small change can all of a sudden make modules not work well together. So even if they are the same make/model/timings, it's irrelevant.

Not saying it never works, just it's a 50/50 bet. And is common for mixed modules to not work nicely together.

Does it overclock normally and with system stability with just one packed pair together?
I.e. if you just put in your original pair, does it work ok? and then if you JUST put in the NEW pack, does that also work fine?

Jun 12, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Just a note of caution that may be contributing to the problem you have described:

Mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed to work together - the only way even the same models are guaranteed to work together is if they are in the same pack, worst case if they are the same date code. Basically the manufacturing process changes a lot and frequently, so a small change can all of a sudden make modules not work well together. So even if they are the same make/model/timings, it's irrelevant.

Not saying it never works, just it's a 50/50 bet. And is common for mixed modules to not work nicely together.

Does it overclock normally and with system stability with just one packed pair together?
I.e. if you just put in your original pair, does it work ok? and then if you JUST put in the NEW pack, does that also work fine?
Yes, both original and new pair in slots a2/b2 work at 3000mhz yet neither of them run that speed in a1/b1 slots

Jun 12, 2019
Specs:
Mobo: Asus B450 TUF-PLUS
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: Team Vulcan 4x4gb 3000mhz
PSU: Corsair CX750 (grey label)
GPU: MSI Armor RX 580 8Gb

I have previously been running 2x4Gb Team Vulcan 3000mhz RAM in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 (slots 2 and 4) using the DOCP profile without an issue however it would not run this speed in slots 1/3
I have bought another identical kit, same brand, speed, size, product number on sticker etc and have put it in my PC earlier today and am having a few issues causing confusion.
I have put my old sticks in slots 1/3 and new sticks in slots 2/4, enabled the DOCP profile in the bios (updated and reset to default today also) however it did not boot, so i changed the DRAM Frequency from 3000mhz to 2400mhz and it has booted and is running somewhat okay however these readings are causing alot of confusion, i've attatched pictures in the hope that it explains it a lot clearer than I can with words. My motherboard supports Dual Channel memory according to their website
Slots 1 and 2 (which has an old stick and a new) is apparently, according to CPU-Z, running at a slower speed with different timings than 3/4 and if you notice the DRAM Manafacturer is different, as is the Week/Year even though they are all identicle sticks. I have tried old sticks in 1/2 and new sticks in 3/4 and it doesnt fix this issue. Does anyone have any ideas/ have had a similar problem?
Thanks

Well the CPU only supports RAM running at certain speeds depending on the number of modules installed in the motherboard. Somewhere in you motherboard manual you would probably find a chart detailing the max RAM speed you would get if you populated all 4 DIMM slots. My guess is that is DDR4-2400MHz which is why your modules are running slower than you expected/showing different timings.

Jun 12, 2019
Well the CPU only supports RAM running at certain speeds depending on the number of modules installed in the motherboard. Somewhere in you motherboard manual you would probably find a chart detailing the max RAM speed you would get if you populated all 4 DIMM slots. My guess is that is DDR4-2400MHz which is why your modules are running slower than you expected/showing different timings.
i understand that however the target frequency i'm aiming for is 2400 so surely there shouldnt be an issue having every module at it?