4x4gb or 2x8gb

Mar 30, 2018
Hello community!
So I was wondering if 2x8gb 3000mhz ram or 4x4gb 2666mhz ram is better, since they are more or less the same price (G.skill ripjaws V).
I am aware that 2x8gb will leave room for upgrading, but I was just wondering what performance differace, if any, there would be.
Thanks for the help!

Solution
From the perspective of overall stability, less is usually better.

All things being equal, you won't see a difference.

When you get down to the nitty gritty of the modules being single or dual rank, and supported speeds by the memory controller, you will run into differences.

If you're populating four ram slots, go for single rank memory. If you're only using two modules, either is usually fine, unless you plan to add two more later, then you want single rank.

Speed wise, dual rank memory is slightly faster - the CPU can have more open memory pages. However, this comes with the caveat that you can't always hit the same high memory speeds with dual rank modules. High end modules can, but low end modules are a bit of a gamble. The...
Mar 30, 2018
In the mean time I have been looking at posts and benchmarks of games/3dmark, etc. And I can't really find any difference. however I apreceate the help!

From the perspective of overall stability, less is usually better.

All things being equal, you won't see a difference.

When you get down to the nitty gritty of the modules being single or dual rank, and supported speeds by the memory controller, you will run into differences.

If you're populating four ram slots, go for single rank memory. If you're only using two modules, either is usually fine, unless you plan to add two more later, then you want single rank.

Speed wise, dual rank memory is slightly faster - the CPU can have more open memory pages. However, this comes with the caveat that you can't always hit the same high memory speeds with dual rank modules. High end modules can, but low end modules are a bit of a gamble. The difference in the speed you run single VS dual rank modules at sometimes can be cancelled out by the higher performance of dual rank.

Best bet is to get two, single rank modules.

The only scenario that comes to mind for four modules being better than two modules is when your CPU supports quad-channel memory.

Solution