blank316

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Hey,

I'm ordering a new P8Z77-V Pro with a i5 3570k ivy bridge, and I cant choose between the two kits.

I can say regardless if its a waste of money or not, I will eventually be upgrading to 32GBs in the end, so I am leaning towards a DDR3 2x8gb 1600mhz kit right now.

Everything is going towards a high-end gaming build in the end, so I don't know if that can play a factor in whats better for me if I am looking for high performance.

But if I am better off going a different direction, what would you suggest?

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I'd assume the 2x8 would be the better option, especially if overclocking. Less voltage required and all, but with an unlocked CPU I'm not sure that even really matters anymore. Either way as you said doubling it would point to 2x8 anyway.

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Have you considered that DDR4/5 might be around the corner, and by the time you need the 32GB, the mainstream already moved to DDR4/5?
you'll be "upgrading to 32GB in the end" how soon is this end to you? If you mean next year, then by all means, get the 8GB kit... but if i were you, i'd be content with 16GB for gaming for the moment (ASSUMING you did not use your computer for memory intensive app such as photoshopping or video editing etc)

G

DDR4 won't be supported no sooner than when haswell comes out late next year.