[SOLVED] 4x8 RAM Stuck at 1866 Mhz

Twinkleroot

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
Last edited:
Solution
Mixing RAM, and particularly with Ryzen, is not recommended. It is likely that the motherboard cannot self initialize the different sticks in any way aside from it's slowest speed. Consider which pair of RAM you wish to use and try to get that running at speed.

With each matched pair you could attempt to use a program like CPU-Z to look for common JEDEC settings to see if you find something compatible. I would consider it a lucky thing that the board is choosing to run slow speeds rather than just not starting or boot looping.
Three things affect the memory speed. The motherboard which controls the BIOS settings and possibly the clock settings for the DRAM modules, the CPU (which contains the memory controller), and the DRAM modules themselves.

You have not provided enough information to help you with anything.

Bought an extra pair of RAM and was originally running it at 3333 Mhz, but now it's stuck at 1866 Mhz.
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232491?Item=N82E16820232491

The settings I try to apply do not save including changing the RAM timings.

B450 Tomahawk
R7 2700x
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel Z170 / Z270 / Z370 / X299 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
You start out saying 4x8GB and then you show 2x8GB.
Which one is it?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Mixing RAM, and particularly with Ryzen, is not recommended. It is likely that the motherboard cannot self initialize the different sticks in any way aside from it's slowest speed. Consider which pair of RAM you wish to use and try to get that running at speed.

With each matched pair you could attempt to use a program like CPU-Z to look for common JEDEC settings to see if you find something compatible. I would consider it a lucky thing that the board is choosing to run slow speeds rather than just not starting or boot looping.

Solution

Twinkleroot

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017

I'm using the same exact model

Twinkleroot

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017

Task manager value is 1866 Mhz, but CPU-Z is around 932.8-933.1 Mhz. I heard that task manager is wrong though
Capture.PNG

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm using the same exact model

If it's not sold and tested together, even if it's the same model it's mixing RAM.

It's not like manufacturing cars. Toyota makes specific cars; they set out to make a Camry and a Corolla, and a Prius. That's not how RAM is made. Different "models" are mostly the same RAM stick that's just been tested and binned compared to how effective it is. Corollas aren't just slightly defective Camrys labeled as Corollas.

Twinkleroot

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
If it's not sold and tested together, even if it's the same model it's mixing RAM.

It's not like manufacturing cars. Toyota makes specific cars; they set out to make a Camry and a Corolla, and a Prius. That's not how RAM is made. Different "models" are mostly the same RAM stick that's just been tested and binned compared to how effective it is. Corollas aren't just slightly defective Camrys labeled as Corollas.
That makes more sense now