[SOLVED] 4x8GB 2400MHz Vs 2x8GB 3200MHz RAM

shanchya

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Guys, i am planning to buy RAM for my current system. my system is;

Core i5 8600K (4.6GHz OC), 2x8GB GSKILL Ripjaws V - 2400MHz, Z370 TUF Gaming Motherboard, Aorus RTX 2070 Super.

Now i am planning to buy RAMs, and i have two options;

1. Buy second hand 2x8GB GSKILL Ripjaws V - 2400MHz and make my system as 32GB total RAM, but speed will be 2400MHz
  2. Buy new 2x8 GB 3200MHz RAM (i would like to go with Dominator RAM) and sell my current 2x8 GB 2400 MHz RAMs. so my system will be with 16 GB 3200MHz RAM.

Which one should i take ? and does RAM speed may impact on my gaming experience ? i know 32GB might something like over kill, but right now i have some money to spend for my computer, so just looking to upgrade.

Solution
If this is a gaming system, you will see MORE benefit from the faster 16GB of 3200mhz memory than you ever will from increasing the capacity of your slow memory to 32GB. If you are doing some kind of professional work with high end applications, high level multitasking or virtual machines, then you probably would benefit more from the increased CAPACITY, although increases in memory speed are usually beneficial across the board, at least, to a point.

For gaming, 3200mhz 16GB is better than 32GB 2400mhz.

Plus, there are no guarantees that if you "add" memory, the new sticks will play nice with the old ones. Often, they don't. Often they do. But there is never a guarantee that they "will".

Memory is only EVER guaranteed when installed...
If this is a gaming system, you will see MORE benefit from the faster 16GB of 3200mhz memory than you ever will from increasing the capacity of your slow memory to 32GB. If you are doing some kind of professional work with high end applications, high level multitasking or virtual machines, then you probably would benefit more from the increased CAPACITY, although increases in memory speed are usually beneficial across the board, at least, to a point.

For gaming, 3200mhz 16GB is better than 32GB 2400mhz.

Plus, there are no guarantees that if you "add" memory, the new sticks will play nice with the old ones. Often, they don't. Often they do. But there is never a guarantee that they "will".

Memory is only EVER guaranteed when installed in supported speeds in kits that include all the memory together, tested, from the factory. Anything else is a crapshoot. So it can work, but it can just as well not work. With slower 2400mhz sticks, it probably would work.

I'd just run the faster sticks and then sell your current ones or save them for troubleshooting purposes down the road or with other systems.

Solution

shanchya

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
The only reason you would want to upgrade to 32+ GB is if you did some VERY intense workloads, but I mean why not save the money so you upgrade something when you truly need it? or if something breaks?

:( can't see anything to upgrade except my cooler, and i am going to do that separately ... but yes thanks for the idea ... :)