[SOLVED] 4x8gb ram speed problem

anzetek1

Commendable
Aug 19, 2017
So I've tried to use the "xmp" profile on my ram before and i've set it to 3200mhz, it seems like it runs at 1.2v right now when ram frequency is set to "auto" which makes it 2133mhz.
So that time when i had it on 3200mhz my pc crashed.. any idea on what is wrong and what should i do? Since people have told me ram speed does affect ryzen quite alot..

specs:
ryzen 7 2700x
asus crosshair vii hero
corsair vengeance rgb (non pro) 4x8 rated for 3200mhz
asus strix rtx 2070

Pictures:
http://prntscr.com/p317nm

Solution
Try the 3000 profile and see if the system performs better. I have the same mobo in one of my rigs and had the very same issue with some memory (different make/model than yours). Couldn't get to run stable at 3200, but rock solid at 3000.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Try the 3000 profile and see if the system performs better. I have the same mobo in one of my rigs and had the very same issue with some memory (different make/model than yours). Couldn't get to run stable at 3200, but rock solid at 3000.

Solution

anzetek1

Commendable
Aug 19, 2017
Okay, will do. Anything you'd suggest i can use to test wether it'll crash at that frequency as well or do i just let it run and do my thing normally and look out for unusual stuff? Also i should leave the voltage at 1.2v as it is now or is that too low?

You can test your ram with memtest86.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

The problem may be related to using a 4 stick kit.
4 sticks are harder for the motherboard to manage.
And, since you can only operate in dual channel mode, a 2 x 16gb kit might have been better.
(Water under the dam, but for future reference)

You might also check for motherboard bios updates that might be relevant.
A frequent reason for bios updates is to address ram compatibility issues.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
You should click on the AI Overclock setting and change it to DOCP and see if it will run at 3200 Mhz.
It very well might.
If it doesn't then leave it set to DOCP and then change the Memory Frequency to 3000 Mhz.
My Asus ROG Strix B450-F BIOS has slightly different names for setting BUT they do the same thing.
This shows my G.Skill TridentZ C16 3200 RAM with DOCP enabled but running at 3400 MHz (because I changed the Memory Frequency setting).
View: https://imgur.com/G8OmyEj