[SOLVED] 4x8GB Ram vs 2x16GB

croxfordc03

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017
Hi there, I'm wondering if a 4x8 or 2x16 configuration would be best for performance on my PC.

My CPU supports dual channel memory (i7 7700k) and my motherboard is an Asus z270e. The ram I'm currently using is a 2x8GB corsair vengeance 3200, and if I was going to buy a 2x16GB ram kit I would be using corsair vengeance too.

If you need any more info let me know, and thanks for your help.

Solution
It depends. It depends on motherboard ram slot wiring, dual sided or single sided ram sticks, memory timings, and other things. Some games respond very well to 4 sticks of memory and I run a 4x8 setup myself since I primarily game these days. Upgrade path options are clearly better with 2 sticks if you want to expand later. There are a ton of test videos on 2 vs 4 memory modules on u tube...I would suggest going and watching a few before deciding.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z0s42YCcBQ
Hi there, I'm wondering if a 4x8 or 2x16 configuration would be best for performance on my PC.

My CPU supports dual channel memory (i7 7700k) and my motherboard is an Asus z270e. The ram I'm currently using is a 2x8GB corsair vengeance 3200, and if I was going to buy a 2x16GB ram kit I would be using corsair vengeance too.

If you need any more info let me know, and thanks for your help.
In theory perf wise it should not make a diff.
What might happen with 4x8 is it down clocks because of the load.

It depends. It depends on motherboard ram slot wiring, dual sided or single sided ram sticks, memory timings, and other things. Some games respond very well to 4 sticks of memory and I run a 4x8 setup myself since I primarily game these days. Upgrade path options are clearly better with 2 sticks if you want to expand later. There are a ton of test videos on 2 vs 4 memory modules on u tube...I would suggest going and watching a few before deciding.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z0s42YCcBQ

Solution