[SOLVED] 5.1 audio setup through HDMI to TV to Sony Home Theater

LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
I am using my PC's GPU HDMI (GTX 1650 SUPER) to TCL TV HDMI, my TV has 2 HDMI ports the other one is ARC port connecting TV to Sony Home Theater, the problem is that only stereo audio is playing in games, media player and other apps except for Netflix app from Windows Store. In the Control Panel sound options it says "Max Channels: 2" yet it plays 5.1 audio from Netflix app but not games even when I set game audio to 5.1 surround. I searched around and only fix I could find was using modified NVIDIA drivers which I don't feel safe doing.

I have tried uninstalling NVIDIA Audio Drivers and using simple High Definition Audio Device drivers but it still shows 2 max channels supported and Netflix app plays 5.1 somehow. What am I missing?

Solution
ARC doesn't support losesless surround, it can transmit encoded surround though. Ie Netflix, DVDs etc but not games. The next generation eARC does have the bandwidth for lossless trueHD passthrough which is what games are based on.

To get surround in your circumstance, you'll need to connect Hdmi from GPU directly to your home theatre system, not use TV as passthrough. ARC is limited to 2.1 much like optical.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
ARC doesn't support losesless surround, it can transmit encoded surround though. Ie Netflix, DVDs etc but not games. The next generation eARC does have the bandwidth for lossless trueHD passthrough which is what games are based on.

To get surround in your circumstance, you'll need to connect Hdmi from GPU directly to your home theatre system, not use TV as passthrough. ARC is limited to 2.1 much like optical.

Solution

LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015

Well I only have 1 HDMI port on GPU which I am using for display and audio both. I tried some modded software named "APO driver" from Youtube and it seemed to cure my problem but the audio in Center speaker was too loud. I don't know if I should settle to using that APO Driver which does somehow get me the results I want (5.1 game audio) but the sound from Center speaker is both louder than usual and delayed by around 300ms (just a guess)

Edit: I have Sony DZ640K Home Theater and it only has one HDMI ARC port

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure about APO driver. Delay could be a side effect of it trying to process audio. Volume level might be able to control that from the amp.

If the Sony can play 5.1 via optical from a console or ext dvd player where content has compressed tracks, then you could consider getting a sound card with Dolby Digital Live real-time encoding that converts stereo to surround on the fly and transmits surround the same way. Similar to the driver you found it seems but done on a hardware level. Shouldn't have volume or delay issues, or very miniscule delay if at all.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Another possible idea might be to use a Displayport to Hdmi adapter and use that to the TV and Hdmi audio to Sony or vice versa. Essentially two cables from the graphics card performing different tasks. Assuming it has Displayport.

LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
Not sure about APO driver. Delay could be a side effect of it trying to process audio. Volume level might be able to control that from the amp.

If the Sony can play 5.1 via optical from a console or ext dvd player where content has compressed tracks, then you could consider getting a sound card with Dolby Digital Live real-time encoding that converts stereo to surround on the fly and transmits surround the same way. Similar to the driver you found it seems but done on a hardware level. Shouldn't have volume or delay issues, or very miniscule delay if at all.

Yeah I'm giving up on that APO Driver, its just a workaround and doesn't give true 5.1 (which is the only thing I'm interested in), that delay has a fix and volume levels can be controlled as well but its too much hassle. Its playing plain stereo music/movies in processed 5.1 also which I never liked.

My Sony DZ640K is kinda old model and it only has HDMI ARC port and my PC doesn't have any Optical port either, only thing that has that port is my TCL TV which is completely useless for me with the other hardware I have.

Another possible idea might be to use a Displayport to Hdmi adapter and use that to the TV and Hdmi audio to Sony or vice versa. Essentially two cables from the graphics card performing different tasks. Assuming it has Displayport.

So you are saying I should get a DP to HDMI Adapter then use that to connect PC and TV and a different HDMI cable connecting my GPU's HDMI directly to Sony Home Theater's HDMI? Thing is my Home Theater system only has 1 HDMI ARC port.

My Sony Home Theater has a sound mode named "MOVIE" which converts any 2.0 audio to 5.1 so I guess I'll have to settle for that.

LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015

boju

Titan
Ambassador
None of that is of any use if TV itself is limited to 2 channel output. All those supposedly work arounds all point to one common factor, encoding / changing bitstream from the source. None of that is possible on a graphics card and all those workarounds are dead end and still limited to two channels and aren't able to test specific speakers. Consoles are different because they do have encoders but not PC motherboards or graphics cards.

Pretty much what these guys are trying to do is what your movie mode does with your Sony.

Ongoing discussion im having with someone regarding surround setups. If you really want surround, youd better off going an AVR or PC speakers. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/5-1-ch-recommendation-for-tv-and-pc.3666952/

Like i said, if Sony and TV had eARC, this would have been a different story.

Last edited:

LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
None of that is of any use if TV itself is limited to 2 channel output. All those supposedly work arounds all point to one common factor, encoding / changing bitstream from the source. None of that is possible on a graphics card and all those workarounds are dead end and still limited to two channels and aren't able to test specific speakers. Consoles are different because they do have encoders but not PC motherboards or graphics cards.

Pretty much what these guys are trying to do is what your movie mode does with your Sony.

Ongoing discussion im having with someone regarding surround setups. If you really want surround, youd better off going an AVR or PC speakers. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/5-1-ch-recommendation-for-tv-and-pc.3666952/

Like i said, if Sony and TV had eARC, this would have been a different story.
I get it now. Thanks a lot, you have been a great help.
So in the end it turns out true 5.1 audio gaming isn't really easy unless you have boat load of money :tearsofjoy:

I tried to play Death Stranding with movie mode audio, and I gotta say I truly value it now as it does a decent job.
I have selected your first answer as the best one and I'll also look into the thread you gave the link to. Thanks again, you are an amazing person <3

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome. There's absolutely no problem with the setup you have now. True surround has designated speakers in which to play sounds from but virtual surround can be decent and position most sounds quite accurately. By the sounds of it your Sony does a good job at it.